Community discussions

MikroTik App

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Is 'wAP R ac' + 'R11e-LTE-US' good choice for US/Canada?

Sun May 01, 2022 10:18 pm

Hi,

I am involved in a project where Internet access will be needed in free-standing devices in public space, LTE is the only available option.
I live in Europe and the obvious choice here is 'wAP ac LTE(6) kit', but I don't know the realities in the US and Canada.
Is the kit mentioned in the subject ('wAP R ac' + 'R11e-LTE-US') a good choice in these countries?
I will be grateful for any information from people who have experience with these devices in the USA and Canada.

Regards, Grzegorz.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Is 'wAP R ac' + 'R11e-LTE-US' good choice for US/Canada?

Mon May 02, 2022 9:01 pm

WAP R AC yes
R11e-LTE-US no

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 02, 2022 10:15 pm

I'm working on a product and testing with the wAP R ac. I'm sure you're familiar with the other notable hardware options. I'll probably go with the Netmetal 5 ac. Yes, I think its fine for what it is, a fully enclosed unit. For my needs, I will need a different modem too. Probably going to go with the Quectel EM160R-GL. Note, the wAP R ac may not be big enough to accommodate M.2 cards. I've not verified yet.

It is low cost enough for you to buy it and try it out.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2022 4:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.
I am familiar with 'wAP ac' devices, my main problem is the selection of the LTE modem.
The main advantage of 'wAP R AC' is the integration of everything in one housing, dual-band radio and two Gigabit ethernet interfaces.
Hence my search for a good LTE modem, operating in the USA and Canada, to be installed in this device.
'NetMetal ac²' is also a good choice, but in my case the device will not be exposed to weather conditions, so I am leaning towards 'wAP R ac'.

Regards, Grzegorz.