Community discussions

MikroTik App

p3ter
just joined
Topic Author

Quick RoMON question...

Wed May 04, 2022 3:53 pm

I was looking at enabling RoMON. If I understand correctly, if I misconfigured my network so badly that a device was neither accessible by IP Address or by MAC Address (i.e. network discovery was broken), having RoMON enabled would give me an additional chance to log in and fix my mistakes without needing to resort to a reset... Right?

The question is - the documentation refers to a convoluted sequence of setting NULL/Non-NULL 'Secret'
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:T ... ON#Secrets which makes it sound dangerously like if I do it in the wrong order, I might end up with my Router being 'unmanageable'!

So just to confirm - enabling RoMON does not disable normal WWW/Winbox admin does it? i.e. if I set up the secrets in the wrong order, I can still log in to a normal IP address winbox session and fix it?

Any other RoMON 'gotchas'?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Quick RoMON question...  [SOLVED]

Wed May 04, 2022 4:22 pm

Those secrets are an additional layer of security, if you want.
You don't need it per se to have it working.

And yes, just open Winbox and select any device which you know you can reach, then "connect to Romon" and everything else within that network visible to that device, will appear and can from there be connected to using Winbox.
Quite nifty tool 8)

Unfortunately it does not work over all interfaces, then it would truly be magic !

p3ter
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Quick RoMON question...

Wed May 04, 2022 9:34 pm

Thanks, enabled painlessly!

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 05, 2022 3:31 am

Those secrets are an additional layer of security, if you want.
You don't need it per se to have it working.
Just to put some ideas out there, the secrets are really handy on a larger network with a lot of romon enabled devices. When setting up a specific lab or configuring some new devices it helps to have the secrets enabled so you can find just the devices you want rather than having a huge list to filter and I often use it this way rather than as a security option :)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 6:36 am

Excellent way of using it !
Thanks for sharing.