Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kibet
just joined
Topic Author

Can a Mikrotik LHG 5 RBLHG-5nD be used for PtMP (Noob question)

Thu May 05, 2022 10:13 pm

I am planning to get some tiks for testing before I can fully invest in them as I am currently a ubiquiti shop, I don't want to get expensive gear that I may not use if not meeting my expectations, so can I use a LHG as a PtMP AP just for testing?.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can a Mikrotik LHG 5 RBLHG-5nD be used for PtMP (Noob question)  [SOLVED]

Fri May 06, 2022 10:22 am

No,
as clearly writed on site description: "Dual chain 24.5dBi 5GHz CPE/Point-to-Point Integrated Antenna"
can act or as CPE (client) or as PtP with another LHG (or similar).
But for act as PtMP, can act only as a client to an another type of device that act as AP.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can a Mikrotik LHG 5 RBLHG-5nD be used for PtMP (Noob question)

Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 am

It's slightly more complex than @rextended wrote: product page states, that included is ROS license level3 ... which is only good for PtP. Any device acting as AP / PtMP need license level at least 4. It is possible to purchase license upgrade, but be warned those don't come cheap.

Next potential problem with RBLHG-5nD is that its antenna has pretty narrow beam. So if you'd want to use this device as PtMP AP, all clients would have to be in pretty much same direction. There are wireless system devices better suited to build a PtMP hub and those already come with ROS license level4 (or higher).

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 06, 2022 12:39 pm

@mkx :lol:
Yes, but I omit that for the OP premises:
...I don't want to get expensive gear..
...can I use a LHG as a PtMP AP just for testing?...

and because all other details, like DISTANCE, DIRECTION, expected BANDWIDTH, etc. are missing...
:roll:

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 06, 2022 3:33 pm

Yes, but I omit that for the OP premises:
...I don't want to get expensive gear..

Well, I read that slightly differently ... as in "I am planning to get some tiks for testing before I can fully invest in them as I am currently a ubiquiti shop" meaning "I've got heaps of PtMP links running on some other vendor, before I commit to buying thousands of PtP/PtMP devices ... and in such context, purchasing a pair of LHG 5's and one license upgrade can still qualify as "I don't want to get expensive gear .... so can I use a LHG as a PtMP AP just for testing".

Kibet
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2022 8:10 pm

Thank you for the replies I have since brought a mantbox and the LHG will now do test on 5, 8, 10 and 15Km as those are the typical distances I do with ubiquiti gear with our rains and fog and see what I get. Thank you all.