Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kitsok
just joined
Topic Author

ROS 7.2.1 HAP AC2 No free space, netinstall didn't help

Wed May 04, 2022 10:52 am

Hello!

I know that this issue is pretty old, but I can't solve it and don't know where to dig futher.

I have HAP AC2 that fall into "no free space" issue.
Free space in /system/resources is 0KiB.

I've noticed it when tried to upgrade it to latest 7.2.3 ROS.
I've pressed "Download and install" and it went into reboot without any complains, but after bring up the version still was 7.2.1

Then I've backed it up to cloud (and exported config to local computer, just in case) and re-flashed it to 7.2.3 using netinstall.
After bring up the router is flying on 7.2.3, but configuration is in place, so either it wasn't cleared or it automatically fetched it from cloud.

And of course, it's still 0KiB free space after netinstall.
Update: Forgot to mention: of course there are no files at all in "files", only "flash" folder.
Update2: Looks like I'm not able to change configuration anymore. I had BGP set up that I don't need anymore, I remove connection and reboot router, and after reboot the connection is there. On the other hand, I had scheduler task that disappearing after reboot.

Can you please advise what to do with it?

Thank you!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ROS 7.2.1 HAP AC2 No free space, netinstall didn't help

Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 am

Use 6.48.6 on SMIPS devices.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 04, 2022 12:05 pm

Sorry but hAP AC2 is arm32.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ROS 7.2.1 HAP AC2 No free space, netinstall didn't help  [SOLVED]

Wed May 04, 2022 11:28 pm

Then I've backed it up to cloud (and exported config to local computer, just in case) and re-flashed it to 7.2.3 using netinstall.
After bring up the router is flying on 7.2.3, but configuration is in place, so either it wasn't cleared or it automatically fetched it from cloud.

I suspect, that when you did netinstall, "Keep old configuration" was checked (IIRC it's checked by default). So try to do netinstall again but without having that option checked. Device should come out without any configuration what so ever, you'll have to use winbox MAC connection to create configuration (it needs some basic config even to get to cloud to restore config).

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 2:57 am

Sorry but hAP AC2 is arm32.
Yes, but for some reason I think to have read hAP lite, because "hAP with no free space"...

Kitsok
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2022 7:55 pm

I suspect, that when you did netinstall, "Keep old configuration" was checked
You're right!
I've re-flashed router again with removal of configuration and then restored it using backup "/export terse show-sensitive" script.
BTW if I restore config from the cloud, router fails again, that's why I had to manually add configuration from backup script.
After all I have ~2Mb of free space.

The root cause was in exhaust of free space on the router.
I have a script that downloads list of IPv4 networks and puts them into address list, the whole number of records is > 9000.
It looks like at some point of time all space on the router was occupied and then ability to make changes to configuration broke down.

Now I've inserted USB stick and I download relatively big file to USB stick, then remove address list, then parse the downloaded file and re-generate address list, at least it works for couple of days now.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 06, 2022 8:17 pm

If you're updating the IP address list members regulary, you can set timeout property (set it a bit longer than expected interval between updates). This makes entries "dynamic" and they don't get permanently written to device configuration so they don't consume precious flash space. Neither do they show in backup nor export. They only live in router's memory.

Drawbacks:
  • reboot clears the lists, if your firewall vitally depends on the list being populated, your firewall might be vulnerable until update procedure re-populates the list
  • dynamic address lsit entries are purged automatically after timeout expires. If automatic procedure of refreshing address list membership doesn't run at scheduled time, list can become empty. Back to the problem occuring after reboot.