Community discussions

MikroTik App

dnordenberg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wireless - any driver difference RouterOS 6 vs 7?

Mon May 09, 2022 6:12 pm

Hi
Never used WiFi on mikrotik before, read that it had it's stability issues in the past...
Just curious, is there any difference comparing 6.x vs 7.x on that matter? Playing with a hAP ac lite TC meant for a non tech friend and trying to decide if it would be best to use 7.2.3 or stick to 6.49.6.
I read about the wifiwave2 driver but that does not apply to this device which is a MIPSBE. Btw why is that driver ARM only, does it mean that what it is supposed to fix only affected ARM? Or that only ARM devices has the newer WiFi hardware which that driver is meant for?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless - any driver difference RouterOS 6 vs 7?

Mon May 09, 2022 6:24 pm

wifiwave2 driver is actually about wifi wave2 chips ... and those are mostly in newer devices using ARM CPU.

No, the "legacy" wireless driver in v7 doesn't differ from the one in v6 so this is definitely not a driver to go for v7 ... stick to v6 (latest stable is 6.49.x, latest long-term is 6.48.x ... I somehow recall that there was some improvement in wireless driver in the latest stable ROS v6 over previous releases) unless you have good reason to go with v7.

dnordenberg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 09, 2022 6:47 pm

I was suspecting that too because of the name...

Yes I think I seen some WiFi improvement notices in 6.4x changelogs recently too so I just hope it has gotten better with time.
I have no other 7.x reasons for this simple application so I think it will be 6.49.6 then :)

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 09, 2022 10:54 pm

It would be great if someone could post his benchmark results: 6.49 versus 7.x for legacy devices with lower RAM and ROM, i.e. cAP ac, hAP ac2, wAP ac 1. gen, wAP ac 2. gen, ...