Community discussions

MikroTik App

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IPDT on Mikrotik CRS3xx?

Tue May 10, 2022 2:33 am

Currently Ive been using the cisco 2960 for my events and they have been lacking in a few areas but working really well in others. so far the biggest features that have me stuck to the ciscos is.
Ip device tracking, which will tell me the ip address of the device connected wether i am routing it or not, sometimes people add devices that have static ips on them, and with this feature i can confirm is someone entered an address wrong or if a staticed device is on the wrong vlan. BUT the massive one is the ability to be able to test the cables with the TDR command. As of now i think that the cable testing is something that the 300 series just doesnt support. But if I could maybe be able to get the information needed to see if i can at least learn the IP address of a device connected to the port that is one big win.

Where the mikrotik Crs3xx series switches thrive is the amount of throughput they can push without stressing the CPU. but the next would be how robust the POE is.
Hard to find all the features i want in one box but i was trying to see how close to it i could get .

Thank you all in advance.

realmark
just joined

Re: IPDT on Mikrotik CRS3xx?

Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:21 pm

Depending on how you've configured it, the IP addresses of connected devices will show up with ip/neighbor/print.

TDR tests, totally with you. I wish I could find out if the CRS3xx switches have PHYs that can't do it, or if it's a roadmap feature. Cable-test works on some (maybe most) of the ethernet routers. It's one of my biggest pet-peeves about various switch lines, because a very primitive version of it is essentially required for modern gbase-T switches anyway. (I don't remember the energy-efficient ethernet standard, but it requires they differentiate length in at least a couple big jumps).