Community discussions

MikroTik App

ykiril
just joined
Topic Author

Strange problems with ALCATEL IK41VE1

Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:30 pm

Hello guys!

Does anyone use Alcatel IK41VE1? Did he have problems with this model?

For the needs of one project I made a test configuration with ROS7 with failover, using HAP AC2, network cable on one port, USB hub with external power supply and 2 USB LTE modems - one Huawei E3372H and the other ZTE MF833U1. Everything works perfectly. But a mobile provider that works with Huawei said that unfortunately it has exhausted it and offered me Alcatel IK41VE1 (I need about 30 devices)

And this is where the problems began.

The Alcatel device uses a different network IP address. Which, of course, is not a problem. I change the IP addresses concerning this device in the routing table (Huawei network is 192.168.8.0, and alcatel - 192.168.1.0). The traffic starts for 1 minute and then stops, and the USB LTE modem reports that the host is unreachable. The result is the same from the computer behind the router and from the router itself. I have a ping to the gate of the LTE interface, but nothing after that. The same device connected directly to a computer works without problems.

I decided, that due to oversight I missed to change some configuration setting, so I returned the router to the factory default settings and left only one mobile provider. No failover. Only the default settings through the Quick Set and the LTE interface which is added automatically. If I use the provider with the ZTE device I have no problem, but if I turn on Alcatel - 1 minute and the host is unreachable. I even tried the default APN profile to be absolutely sure that both devices use the same settings coming from the APN profiles. Without success...

I decided that the problem was in ROS7. Another router (spare RB3011) with 6.49.5. Factory settings again, same problem again.

In connection with the above problems I have 2 interpretations.

1. Problems in ROS. But why do I have traffic to the IP address of the USB device?!

2. Some TTL problem .... Just in case the Alcatel firmware is "angry" when the TTL of the incoming packets is not the starting one ... This should be the only thing different between using the device from a computer directly and from computer behind the router. But on the other hand, when the traffic is coming from the router, the situation with TTL should be the same as if it were from a computer to which the USB modem is directly connected?!

Anyone have any other ideas?

edegroot
just joined

Re: Strange problems with ALCATEL IK41VE1

Sat May 14, 2022 5:26 pm

Hi,

I am afraid I have the same issue as you have. I also have a Alcatel IK41VE1 and I trying to use it as a 4G backup on my hEX PoE (RB960PGS). It sometimes works for a minute or so or sometimes not at all. I tried the stick on my Windows laptop and it works flawlessly.
I've tried RouterOS 6.49.6, 7.2.3 and 7.3beta40, but the symptoms are the same.

I will try the stick on my Linux server to see if it works there and then I will also give RouterOS 6.48 a try because that is the version in which Mikrotik introduced support for this stick.

I'll report back when that's done.

Cheers,
Erik

B.t.w. If there are some tips & tricks on how to get this stick to work, please let me know!

edegroot
just joined

Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm

Hi,

Just downgraded to 6.48 but that doesn't work either. I was able to get a ping for a few seconds, but most of the time the lte1 device just disappeared after a few seconds without even getting one working ping. RouterOS 6.49.6, 7.2.3 and 7.3beta40 do better in that respect, but after 40-80 seconds it stops working as you noticed already.

I am out of ideas now...

Cheers,
Erik

moontracer
just joined

Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi, was this problem solved? Just experiencing the same issue and not sure if I should return modem back to the shop.

DrCure
just joined

Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:01 am

Just bought IK41VE1 and I have the same problem..

edg1972
just joined

Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:34 pm

Hi,

Tried mine with RouterOS 7.6 and 7.7beta8, but still no improvement...
It's a pity since it is one of the few widely available LTE dongles on the market currently.

Cheers,
Erik

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:31 pm

Does anyone use Alcatel IK41VE1? Did he have problems with this model?
Mine works fine (RNDIS Mode) with ROS 7.6, the only problem is that there is no password in the alcatel menu (192.168.1.1).
Are you using it with MBIM Mode ?

vdat
just joined

Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:58 pm

I have same problem, tried with router os 6.49 and 7.7

May be I found the problem, but I do not know how ti fix it.
After a while the modem switch to IPv6 and disable IPv4!
after that moment it is inaccessible.
I have no success with AT commands and so on.
Is anybody know how to use it with IPv6 and NAT IPv4 to IPv6 output?

Best regards,
Vasil Atanasov

3dfx

Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:01 am

The thread is old, but this might help someone - in the profile setting there is a hidden option to disable IPv6:
settings.png
In order to reach it, you'll have to plug the modem to a PC, and to use the developer console of your browser to unhide it, to set it to IPv4 and save the profile.
That should fix the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

siddadav
just joined

Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:48 pm

Hi 3dfx, how did you do this. I cannot figure out how to set it to ipv4 any more guidance would be great,

3dfx

Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:14 pm

Hi siddadav! The idea is that the option to adjust the IP type could be present in the web interface, but hidden in the HTML code.
If you're using Chromium-based browser, you can right-click at the location where the option is supposed to be present, click on "Inspect" and look for the IP type option that should be having a "hidden" property. After you remove the hidden property from the code, the option will be visualized and you can select it and save the configuration.
It is also possible that the option is not just hidden from the interface, but is missing. In that case you can flash another firmware to the modem that will enable it. I've already enabled a couple of modems thus way.

ros44
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:53 pm

3dfx, your reply was like a bright light for me after trying to understand what is going on and talking with the support of Vivacom for almost 40 mins. I have a device with firmware that has the hidden html option, but even when I made it visible, the option was empty - no IPv4 or IPv6 to select. I even added it manually in the html and saved it in a different profile but without success.

Do you know where I can find a different firmware for this dongle?

P.S. If you are in Sofia I would buy you a beer!

3dfx

Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:55 am

I tried to upload everything that should be necessary to flash the modem here:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmHD_RlSyqfbj40ag_0 ... Q?e=whHfzA

Brief instructions:

1. Plug the modem to a PC
2. Find the respective hidden disk drive that was assigned to the modem - you can find it either in the safe disconnect tool:
or in the Computer Management console - compmgmt.msc under disk management
3. Once you find the disk drive letter, start the TCL-SWITCH-TOOL, enter the drive letter and press Switch Debug.
4. The modem should switch to ADB mode and must be visible in the Windows Device Manager
5. The tricky part is to install working drivers for the ADB interface of the modem. I've included some drivers in the folder, but if you're using Windows 11 it might be necessary to disable Windows Core isolation from Settings - Device Security. I can't actually try because I don't have a modem with me.
6. After the drivers are installed start the Firmware_IK41_01011_fastboot_install.bat - the script will lead you through the flash process.

ros44
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:19 am

3dfx, OMG! Thank you! Following your instructions and the files you provided, I managed to switch the modem's mode, then install the drivers and after a reboot I managed to flash the firmware. I can now see the IPv4 option, and actually it is the one selected by default. In a few days I will try to plug this USB dongle to a router and check if the "one minute problem" is fixed.

Just from curiosity, where did you download this firmware from?

Thank you again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3dfx

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:19 am

Glad it worked!
I found the files published in this forum: https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=950775