Community discussions

MikroTik App

abishur
just joined
Topic Author

Compatible APs?

Fri May 13, 2022 6:48 pm

I currently have a Mikrotik RB 3011 that I've been using for about 3 years now that I'd like to add access points to. My current AP setup is a couple of Linksys Velop APs that I've had for about the same amount of time that I just thoroughly hate. My goal in getting them was to allow wireless clients in my home to seamlessly hand off between APs, but the Linksys APs... they just are no good. If they can't connect to the internet they crap out, if you want to really configure them you have to use the Linksys app. I'm just sick and tired of them.

I've known the Mikrotik devices can manage APs for a while, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to find out if an off brand AP is compatible with it or not.

Also my current Mikrotik device only has one POE, but I'll need at least 2 APs for my home, can I add a second managed POE switch and control an AP connected to that switch or does it have to be connected to the main Mikrotik router so I can control it?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Compatible APs?

Fri May 13, 2022 7:31 pm

You have lots of options.
I have both MT and non-MT connected to managed switches or the MT router itself, both are entirely plausible.
What you do want, (opinion) are Access Points that can read vlan tags.
I have the TP link eap245 for wifi5 and both the 620 and 660 for wifi6, and all work very well on my network.

I simply give them an IP address on my trusted LAN, send all the vlans over a trunk port from the switch OR the router
and the AP lets me pick SSID to vlan etc..........

The seamless roaming you wish for is not really a reality (or under the control of the AP) as choosing an AP is dependent upon the device itself more than anything else.
What is important is choosing non interfering channels (with each other and neighbours) and controlling power output as well.

abishur
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2022 12:50 am

I thought CAPsMAN allowed for more control over wireless features such as wireless roaming? The setup you're describing sounds like it's letting the APs do what they want, more or less, and just connecting them back to the router.

What if I want more control over the AP? Is there a specific protocol I need to be looking for?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 14, 2022 3:04 am

Quick answer is no, capsmans does not provide mesh/roaming capability. There is no mesh in capacs,,,,,,,,, the added complexity of trying to learn capsman is not worth it, it takes me 5 minutes max to configure any AP (capac or non-MT) with an MT router.
When and if MT joins the modern era and gets wifi6, then it may be worthwhile to pursue capsman if one has more than 3 APs.......
Audience is supposed to more of a mesh product but go ahead and read all the posts (using search box upper right) and see what you find..... my guess is not much.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 pm

Many people use Ubiquiti APs with mikrotik routers. You can't manage them via mikrotik but they will work together. They have a similar advantage to Mikrotik in that once you learn them then the interface stays the same for new models, as opposed to linksys and others that seem to keep changing.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 3:10 pm

Ruckus Wireless, with Mikrotik routing has be a mainstay for us for over a decade.

I type it all the time... IF CAPS-MAN COULD CONTROL A GOOD RADIO, IT WOULD BE MY GO TO!

Sadly... caps-man is stuck with the 2014 version of WiFi. And the proprietary driver does lock up a radio under noisy conditions.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 pm

IMHO ubiquiti wifi is overpriced. (for what you get).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 8:54 pm

IMHO ubiquiti wifi is overpriced. (for what you get).
Considering that UniF--k is dirt cheap... that's bad...

Rox169

Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 am

Hi,

for me is the best solution Mikrotik as router and ASUS RT-AX56U as wifi AP. This Asus is for good price, its HW powerful beast and it has WiFi 6 and it has standard MESH 802.11k/v. I think that standard WiFi MESH are the best.

abishur
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 22, 2022 6:58 am

Ruckus Wireless, with Mikrotik routing has be a mainstay for us for over a decade.

I type it all the time... IF CAPS-MAN COULD CONTROL A GOOD RADIO, IT WOULD BE MY GO TO!

Sadly... caps-man is stuck with the 2014 version of WiFi. And the proprietary driver does lock up a radio under noisy conditions.
I haven't heard of them before, do you have a favored AP from them? I was looking at the Ubiquity stuff and liked the way their APs are fairly unobtrusive, like a smoke detector

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 4:06 pm

I haven't heard of them before, do you have a favored AP from them? I was looking at the Ubiquity stuff and liked the way their APs are fairly unobtrusive, like a smoke detector
I have moved up through their various pieces as they release new stuff.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 24, 2022 5:05 pm

I certainly will endorse the use of Ubiquiti U6 AP's and the Ubiquiti GenKey Controller ... will work very nicely with Any Tik Router. The only problem with Ubiquiti U6 AP's is that they are very difficult to get since they sell out very fast -- faster than a speeding bullet. My second choice is the TP-Link EAP660HD with the ARMADA Controller/

The Supply chain for many of the better brands are now moving away from China ASAP and into Viet Nam and the Philippians so it may take one year for the supply to improve and become available.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 5:30 pm

I certainly will endorse the use of Ubiquiti U6 AP's and the Ubiquiti GenKey Controller ... will work very nicely with Any Tik Router. The only problem with Ubiquiti U6 AP's is that they are very difficult to get since they sell out very fast -- faster than a speeding bullet. My second choice is the TP-Link EAP660HD with the ARMADA Controller/

The Supply chain for many of the better brands are now moving away from China ASAP and into Viet Nam and the Philippians so it may take one year for the supply to improve and become available.
I have a Netgear WAP630E here for testing and the interface is DOG SLOW!
The 6GHZ doesn't work so well either.
Its probably going back to amazon.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 6:53 pm

Yeah shied away from netgear and Mozerd I use the Tp links in stand alone mode with NO issues, easy peasy.
I would be interested in ubiquiti IF they could be setup stand alone but only if the price (bang for buck) was there over the TP link.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm

Yeah shied away from netgear and Mozerd I use the Tp links in stand alone mode with NO issues, easy peasy.
I would be interested in ubiquiti IF they could be setup stand alone but only if the price (bang for buck) was there over the TP link.
Weren't the TP-Links you mentioned before the same Senao Networks boards?
https://www.senaonetworks.com/en/produc ... ss-points/

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 24, 2022 7:03 pm

Yeah shied away from netgear …..
Netgear Orbi is the finest WiFi on earth without exception …. No need to shy away …. I do not like Netgear dedicated AP’s just yet but if they move their AP line to to the Orbi TECH then that will be my go to line … however Orbi is very expensive … but if one want the very best MESH WiFi Orbi cannot be beat by anyone.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 7:20 pm

Before any moderator, or worse an administrator, of the forum intervenes,
you all better stop advertising other brands.

Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 7:39 pm

Also my current Mikrotik device only has one POE, but I'll need at least 2 APs for my home, can I add a second managed POE switch and control an AP connected to that switch or does it have to be connected to the main Mikrotik router so I can control it?
When you have only 2 or maybe 3 APs, I would not spend time on considering or learning centralized management solutions. It will likely cost more time to set that up than you gain because you need to manage everything only once instead of 2 or 3 times.
However, the capability of centralized management is not related to the PoE solution. You can use an extra PoE switch, or you can use PoE inserters, or a mix of these (one AP on a PoE output port, another on a plain output port and using a PoE inserter).
Many APs already come with a PoE inserter in the box, especially when bought as a single unit (not when bought as 3- or 5-pack, but you can order one separately).

When it was not clear from above postings: CAPsMAN, the MikroTik centralized management solution, manages ONLY MikroTik APs. Similar for other manufacturer's equipment. There is no cross-manufacturer compatibility in management solutions.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 7:42 pm

@pe1chl - nicely stated.

@gotsprings, no affiliation that I am aware, I thought they (Senao) were the parent company of Engenius??

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 25, 2022 12:04 am

@pe1chl - nicely stated.

@gotsprings, no affiliation that I am aware, I thought they (Senao) were the parent company of Engenius??
Senao is a big OEM.
Engenius is the in house brand.
Plenty of other companies put their name on Senao gear.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 25, 2022 12:48 am

Then you are probably correct, regardless quite happy with the results.

Ca6ko

Wed May 25, 2022 4:25 pm

Senao International, Co., Ltd. -> Senao Networks, Inc. -> EnGenius and Senao brand

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 25, 2022 4:44 pm

Really? ;-)

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:42 am

Before any moderator, or worse an administrator, of the forum intervenes,
you all better stop advertising other brands.

Thanks.
Well, nowadays we'd recommend access points with 802.11ax with full roaming protocol support, i.e. 802.11k, 802.11v, 802.11r and features like airtime fairness and band steering, ... As MikroTik does not offer such products we all have to look elsewhere.