Community discussions

MikroTik App

b10up
just joined
Topic Author

Inter-vlan multicast audio streaming

Mon May 16, 2022 10:29 am

Hi Wizards,

I have to solve a task but i can't figure out, how to do it.

We have multiple escape rooms in a building and multiple gamesmaker rooms. Each room has it own VLAN.
Each escape room has 2 DIY IP microphone that streams raw pcm audio to a multicast address ( different address per mic ).
I have to copy these multicast streams to the gamesmaker VLAN-s. How can i do this with an RB1100x4 ?
I tried to use the IGMP proxy feature, but it allows only one upstream VLAN.
Is this possible to set the mikrotik router as unicast target and convert the unicast udp stream to multicast streams to multiple vlans with some NAT/mangle rules?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Inter-vlan multicast audio streaming

Mon May 16, 2022 3:56 pm

Each room has it own VLAN.

Why?

Seriously: defend your design. What value do you get from such extremely fine dicing up of your IP space? What threat does this counter, and why is that threat severe enough to put up with the problems you're buying? What possible value is there in separating them when you turn around and say, "But now they have to be not separated."

I propose two VLANs: production and guest.

Guest network access is on a single VLAN, configured with the private VLAN feature to isolate guest ports from each other. You don't need VLAN-per-room to achieve port isolation.

Everything else is on the "production" VLAN: staff computers, servers, these DIY IP audio streamers of yours, etc.

Now you don't need to play IGMP proxy games to get audio from the game rooms to the staff that need access to those streams: the audio goes there directly. Each gamesmaker picks off whatever IP audio streams they need from the shared VLAN.

It's one thing to be mazy-minded in your game design, but that need not extend to your intranet design. KISS!

Each escape room has 2 DIY IP microphone that streams raw pcm audio

So you've reinvented Dante?

I have to copy these multicast streams to the gamesmaker VLAN-s.

Why are the IP mics not on the gamesmaker VLAN to begin with? You aren't saying they're on the game room VLAN, are you? Why would the game players need access to the stream?

How can i do this with an RB1100x4 ?

One, for the whole thing? This vague "multiple" of rooms totals 13 or less, gamesmakers and game rooms?

I ask because some answers might change if you have additional routers or switches involved.

Even if the entire network runs through a single RB1100, the fact that its internal design involves three switch chips can also affect the design. Ideally, you'd have 5 or fewer game rooms on switch chip 1, 5 or fewer production devices on chip 2, and your Internet access on chip 3, to minimize the amount of traffic crossing the CPU. Then you'd make use of those CPU-crossing paths to impose routing and firewalling rules between the switch groups.

A diagram might help.

set the mikrotik router as unicast target and convert the unicast udp stream to multicast streams to multiple vlans with some NAT/mangle rules?

Sure. Just overwrite the unicast IP with a multicast IP.

But I still have to ask why you're causing yourself all this trouble. Reconfigure for two VLANs max, and then you don't need to play such games.

Save the gaming for the punters.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Inter-vlan multicast audio streaming

Thu May 19, 2022 12:22 am

its internal design involves three switch chips

I've been working with MikroTik support to clarify the Bridging & Switching docs on this point, and it does work as I thought: each switch chip is functionally separate, so rules like "one hardware accelerated bridge only" apply separately to each switch chip.

As a result, I've written this article, which shows how you can make profitable use of having multiple switch chips in a single device. It doesn't give a canned configuration to match your needs, but you should find it inspiring, sparking ideas for solving this sort of problem set.