Community discussions

MikroTik App

thanpolas
just joined
Topic Author

Priorities for WAN

Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 am

Hello there,

I am a newbie to mikrotik and as I've recently purchased a CCR2004-16G-2S+ to handle my home lan, I am struggling to bring my network to shape. Mostly because the RouterOS is v7, for which there are not so many available tutorials or youtube videos...

There are many things I'd like to accomplish and hadn't had the time to deep-research to figure them out, the most important of which is Priorities for WANs:

I have 3 WANs, my aDSL landline (directly interfaced on Mikrotik with pppoe), Starlink and a 5G modem (both wireless WANs are a permanent fixture).

What I would like to do is utilize all 3 of them with a priority:

1. First use all of aDSL's capacity.
2. When aDSL is full, start using Starlink Capacity.
3. When aDSL and Starlink are full, start using 5G capacity.

I've seen the failover tutorials and I am not interested in any such arrangement, I cannot justify the other two WANs sitting idle there.

Bonus question: Can I, and how, distribute true, static IPv6 addresses to select clients of my network?

Thank you all and hope this hasn't been asked before, if so, just kindly let me know where to look.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Priorities for WAN

Sun May 15, 2022 8:49 pm

The trouble with such an approach is the bursty nature of packet traffic, so the bandwidth occupation is not stable, and since all your uplinks are unrelated, all packets of any given connection must use the same WAN.

Another trouble is that when a new connection is established, you don't know in advance whether it will be a mostly download one, a mostly upload one, or a bidirectional one.

So the best you can do is to use scripting to track the currently used bandwidth on each uplink, and start placing new connections on the more expensive uplink once the cheaper one reaches, say, 80 % of the contract bandwidth in either direction, and start placing them on the cheaper one again if its load decreases below 60 % in both directions.

The question is whether the effort needed to be spent is worth the effect.

thanpolas
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2022 11:48 am

I see. Yea, your comments make sense...

When you say "use scripting" what would that involve? Does MT have a scripting language? (can I get references?)

... sooo, never mind what I said and thought... What would you do if you had the setup I describe: 3 WANs:

1. aDSL 100mbps - stable
2. Starlink 100-400mbps - stable?
3. 5G model ~80mbps - mostly stable

Thank you

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 16, 2022 2:55 pm

USE PCC and base it on throughput to optimize available bandwidth.. 2:3:1 type thinking.......... ( for any given 6 sessions from users, the adsl will handle 2, starlink-3 and 5G-1 )

https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/steve.pdf

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 16, 2022 4:21 pm

When you say "use scripting" what would that involve? Does MT have a scripting language? (can I get references?)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Scripting

What would you do if you had the setup I describe
It depends on what is the goal. What I've understood was that you wanted the traffic to overflow from the cheapest resource (ADSL) to a more expensive one (Starlink) once the capacity of the ADSL was exhausted, and then eventually engage 5G if even Starlink capacity was exhausted.

What @anav suggests (even distribution of the connections among the three uplinks in the proportion of their capacity (100:400:80 Mbit/s give 5:20:4 distribution) is one extremity, an ordered failover strictly preferring the cheapest uplink or the one with the highest capacity, or the one with the lowest latency, and only using another one if the preferred one is down, is another extremity.

Among these is the correct solution for your specific needs - e.g., the latency of Starlink is way higher than the one of ADSL and a bit higher than the one of 5G. So you may even want to use ADSL for realtime traffic like phone calls and Starlink for huge downloads where latency is not that important.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 16, 2022 5:44 pm

Lots to consider, and my hesitancy to go WILD on starlink was that you stated it ranged from 100-400 so from 1:1 to 1:4 (ADSL to starlink) and thus thought 2:3 was a reasonable point in the middle. :-). I missed out on the smarty sindy pants recognition of the latency as an important factor to consider ;-)

It boils down to the requirements as noted, what do your users need to do and how often and this will help guide your throughput needs
(knowing stableness of each ISP, latency of each ISP, throughput of each ISP, prone to wx affects and the amount of such wx in your area, same could be said for affects of solar flares :-PPP )