Community discussions

MikroTik App

pnp2000
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac3 bootloop after update

Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:53 am

After I update my hAP ac3 to 7.1.5 router had go to bootloop. I've tried use Netinstall but router never showed, even then I hold Reset button router still continue rebooting. Have any options to recover it?

Rox169

Re: hAP ac3 bootloop after update

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:17 pm

Hi,

I had the same issue with Hap AC3 I coud not get Netinstall working. Have you already been succeful?

pnp2000
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:03 am

Hi,
I had the same issue with Hap AC3 I coud not get Netinstall working. Have you already been succeful?
Nope, I moved back to DD-WRT. And my next step will be pfSense, and probably some of Cisco's.
Maybe I can recover router, but I definitely can't recover my confidence to Mikrotik.

gyropilot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:41 am

I recently needed to use netinstall on a new hAP ac that was bootlooping after upgrading from ROS v6.49.5 to v7.1.5. I spent days and probably 50 times trying to get the router to show up in netinstall using an HP laptop running Windows 10. I spent hours reading threads about netinstall and trying every suggestion, tweak, and setting I could think of. Nothing worked. I was convinced the router couldn't enter Etherboot mode due to the bootlooping.

Based on a tip I read in a forum post, and as a last resort, I bought a $15 unmanaged Ethernet switch and put that in between the laptop and the router. On my very first try after doing that, the router showed up in netinstall and has 100% of the time since! Using netinstall I was able to install ROS v7.2rc5 and have no more bootlooping!

I believe the switch trick works because the Ethernet card in some PC's (like mine) simply aren't fast enough to wake up and connect to the router once it enters Etherboot mode. The router gives up too quickly and continues booting (or bootlooping). With the laptop connected to the switch, its Ethernet port is kept alive so it's ready to respond immediately to the router once it enters Etherboot mode.

You might give that a try.

John L.

pnp2000
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2022 8:28 am

So, I finally replaced the Reset button on the board (I need to cut off the hands of the engineers who made this board) and after that I can start Etherboot mode. I flashed it twice, Netinstall showed that the flash memory is fine, but wireless network does not appear, and the LAN ports are also not responding. So I realized that I need to use WinBox and connect to it by mac address for assign IP address and making basic config.
It finally works, but I can't trust Mikrotik anymore. Luckily I didn't buy anything else from them as I had planned before.