Community discussions

MikroTik App

samuellsk
Topic Author

trying routeros after years with cisco. Vlan interface ping not working

Tue May 17, 2022 2:10 pm

well, after years with cisco i thought i ll try mikrotik once again. I wanted a simple thing. Have 2 interfaces (gigabit 1 and 2) , one would need a tagged packets and other one will not.

this is how i would do it on cisco ios

interface GigabitEthernet1
description test_tag
switchport mode trunk
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet2
description test_native
switchport mode trunk
swtichport trunk native vlan 100
no ip address

interface Vlan100
description maint
ip address 10.85.100.254 255.255.255.0

Simple, one vlan interface with ip 10.85.100.254 , if i plug in the cable to gigabit 1 and setup on pc network card vlan tag 100, it will ping the interface. If i remove that tag and plug the cable to gigabit 2 it will ping the interface.

This code i belive is for the mikrotik

/interface bridge
add name=switchport

/interface bridge port
add bridge=switchport interface=ether1
add bridge=switchport interface=ether2 pvid=100

/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=switchport tagged=ether1 vlan-ids=100
add bridge=switchport untagged=ether2 vlan-ids=100
/interface bridge set switchport vlan-filtering=yes

/interface vlan
add interface=switchport name=VLAN100 vlan-id=100
/ip address
add address=10.85.100.254/24 interface=VLAN100

But i cant ping the vlan interface. Any thought why ? Of course this is the only code, no firewall rules , etc....

originally i thought it would take me like 15 minutes for such a basic stuff to get work, spent like 3 hours googling,.... with no result

edit: just in case its important , CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: trying routeros after years with cisco. Vlan interface ping not working

Tue May 17, 2022 2:43 pm

/interface bridge
add ingress-filtering=no name=switchport vlan-filtering=yes
/interface vlan
add interface=switchport name=vlan100 vlan-id=100
/interface bridge port
add bridge=switchport interface=ether2 pvid=100
add bridge=switchport interface=ether1
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=switchport tagged=ether1,switchport untagged=ether2 vlan-ids=100
/ip address
add address=10.85.100.254/24 interface=vlan100 network=10.85.100.0
I think all you may have forgotten is to allow tagged on your switchport.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 2:47 pm

Thats because CrISCO is illogical and MT requires 3 PHDs to master...............
Pretend your a beginner and have to go where no Crisco man has gone before, strange new worlds......
Pick your poison suggest Para C. - viewtopic.php?p=933631#p933631

There is also MT documentation: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... VLAN+Table

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 2:59 pm

I think you’ve got “tagged” vs “untagged” backwards relative to the Cisco example.

Also, when you enable VLAN filtering on a port, it only makes sense to then add some VLAN filtering rules.

samuellsk
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 pm

Thats because CrISCO is illogical and MT requires 3 PHDs to master...............
Pretend your a beginner and have to go where no Crisco man has gone before, strange new worlds......

There is also MT documentation: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... VLAN+Table
I see that this forum is as poisonous as ever. I m very sorry for troubeling you. I see that i should stayed where i was. Thank you for clarifing that for me.

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 17, 2022 3:07 pm

I see that this forum is as poisonous as ever. I m very sorry for troubeling you. I see that i should stayed where i was. Thank you for clarifing that for me.
I try to help without judgement wherever I can. Everybody is a new user at some point. Mikrotik does do things differently that every other vendor, so naturally there will be strange to new user issues that come up. Don't let some users discourage you from learning the platform. Ask away, and those that want to help will. One thing that has helped me tremendously has been setting up EVE-NG with some mikrotik CHR images. Lets you bang out things quickly.

Keep your head up and ignore people that bother you. There are a lot of great individuals on this forum, including Mikrotik employees, that help out.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:21 pm

I see that this forum is as poisonous as ever.

I'd describe the derisive term you seem to be reacting to as puerile rather than poisonous.

I do believe the forum's getting better, as people who care about these things participate, pushing the clueless flamers out by getting to the topics first. When we show them that a given thing is possible, or at least why it cannot work, there's less room for uninformed speculation, pro-team defensiveness, and whining.

You might find use for the forum's "foe list" feature.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:22 pm

I see that this forum is as poisonous as ever. I'm very sorry for troubling you. I see that I should stayed where I was. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Don't take things too personally. It is just a forum with a wall of words coming at you. If we were all sitting around a table, we would be laughing and having a good time. Its okay.

cfikes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 17, 2022 3:29 pm

I see that this forum is as poisonous as ever.
You might find use for the forum's "foe list" feature.
No idea there was such a thing!

Sad that this feature must exist.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:38 pm

I try to help without judgement wherever I can. Everybody is a new user at some point. Mikrotik does do things differently that every other vendor, so naturally there will be strange to new user issues that come up. Don't let some users discourage you from learning the platform. Ask away, and those that want to help will. One thing that has helped me tremendously has been setting up EVE-NG with some mikrotik CHR images. Lets you bang out things quickly.

Keep your head up and ignore people that bother you. There are a lot of great individuals on this forum, including Mikrotik employees, that help out.

@cfikes, couldn't agree more!

@samuellsk, GNS3 is another good alternative similar to EVE-NG. Or you can just download and run RouterOS as a virtual machine (called Cloud Hosted Router or just CHR) using for example VirtualBox, VMware or Hyper-V. No need to register for a license tho the free version is limited to 1Mbs that usually is good enough for functionally testing.

The virtual CHR images may be downloaded from https://mikrotik.com/download. Scroll down and expand "Cloud Hosted Router"

Normally you only need to boot the image and login as admin at the console, WebConfig (http) or use WinBox as you admin tool. Dhcp is enabled by default on the first eth interface. Details on how to install and run CHR: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... d=18350234

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:44 pm

Sorry if I go OT, but is relevant...

I apologize to everyone if I gave bitchy answers in the past, probably even worse than that.

I was saddened by how this user took it badly and closed his account.

I do not know how to be forgiven by those who have disliked me in the past, but I hope sooner or later to fix it.

Excuse me again.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:49 pm

I do not know how to be forgiven by those who have disliked me in the past, but I hope sooner or later to fix it.

I was skeptical when one of the least moderate forum users was given a moderation bit, but I've observed a marked change in the tone of your posts, rextended.

Excuse me again.

Thou art forgiven. Go forth and sin no more, my son. 😉

But speaking of, why did you (I presume it was you) delete the DNS MX thread? Maybe the OP was one of those farming karma by reposting old topics, but I thought my thoughtfully-composed reply was worthwhile.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:53 pm

DNS MX? Is the title?

I check on moderator log....

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:57 pm

DNS MX? Is the title?

No, I mean this thread. The title is misleading, owing to the OP's confusion about the solution. (Classic XY problem.) Setting up DNS MX is the answer to the confused question.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 3:58 pm

Deleted topic “How to set Mikrotik routes” written by “JodaJacksoncatrina”
6 years ago...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/318 ... s/31987321

Yes, because the spammer JodaJacksoncatrina later modified the OP by inserting size=1 text with spam link inside.
Eliminating the main topic made the whole topic disappear.

They use this trick to get the first post accepted, to modify it later or to start spamming when accepted.

He had registered two other users and started answering himself!!!...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 7:38 pm

I make no apologies for being an ascerbic llama and I am staying within character.
I just find it highly amusing that someone from Cisco background which I found to be complex and intimidating to program their routers, would find MT difficult. If anything I was making fun of Cisco and MT and not any individual. I gather you just molted.......... :-)
With only one certification MTUNA, I have mastered (cough cough) the MT devices......
However, as you can be see by my post, the relevant information you need to work on your config was provided. If thats unfriendly maybe I should have held your hand and done the work for you??

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 pm

I just find it highly amusing that someone from Cisco background which I found to be complex and intimidating to program their routers

Flip that around; swap the proper nouns.

Just as RouterOS users vary considerably in skill level, so do Cisco users.

If anything I was making fun of Cisco

Have you not noticed that people become personally attached to corporate identities? Every sportsball rivalry ever? Ford vs Chevy? Windows vs Mac? EMACS vs vi?

Attacking someone's favorite technology is ineffective advocacy. At best, it's in-group signalling. "Hur hur hur, we only use Linux here, l00zur. Micro$oft are the sux0rz." The Linux movement worked out the folly of that tactic decades past. I think that's a large part of the reason it's succeeded in so many ways: we educated those dragging down the tone where possible and jettisoned the rest.

Mind, advocacy is fine if done properly. I've banged on Windows once or twice here, but only in showing that a given task is easier on other platforms. Mainly this is command line networking stuff involved in client-side diagnostics, where I can show a material improvement resulting from using something else, if only for the duration of the debugging session.

Contrast this thread's topic, where the best possible case is that RouterOS comes off just as good as Cisco IOS, presumably for less money. That's not a whole lot to crow about. It's useful, but it's not like we're showing off a unique feature that'd make a Cisco guy jealous. Besides, you have to count the cost of reeducation. Spending a week in classes to save $1000 on a router makes sense only if you're making $200 a day or less, and then only if the class was free and you came out of it as facile with the new tech as with the old.

Here's the thing about making fun of huge corporations: millions of people make billions of dollars using and supporting their products. That work paid for people's houses, cars, and schooling. It's put their kids through university, and it's paid for their kids' braces. Do you really think it's wise to attack that? You don't see how someone might feel personally attacked by extension? You're all but accusing them of making unwise choices, in the face of tremendous economic evidence to the contrary.

With only one certification MTUNA, I have mastered (cough cough) the MT devices......

How much time have you invested in achieving your current state of enlightenment?

Do you believe no one should post until they've put the equivalent amount of work in?

maybe I should have held your hand and done the work for you??

I've thrown that accusation myself, but not after a single exchange. Encouraging people to work things out on their own is wise. Brushing off leeches who've shown they want only to be spoon-fed is sanity-saving. Accusing someone of being lazy after you've insulted the supplier that may well be responsible for a large part of their livelihood is most unwise.

Oh, and lest you think I'm some Cisco supporter, I've only ever interacted with their equipment second-hand. I use MikroTik gear because if it's a choice between them and Cisco, I don't get to play, because I'd never pay their premium. That isn't the same thing as saying I don't respect what they've achieved, or that I'm ignorant of the extent to which they're still responsible for driving the industry.

Here's a fun pair of data points for you. Number of Internet RFCs written by people affiliated with…

• Cisco: over 200, the search engine's limit
  • MikroTik? "No documents match your query."

Don'cha think that's worth a little respect?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue May 17, 2022 9:39 pm

For what it's worth...

I ran a large Cisco carrier network that covered 3 US states and 10,000 subscribers when I first learned about MikroTik 12 years ago. I had recently finished my CCNP route/switch (which i still have active) and was not afraid to tackle incredibly complex routing/switching designs.

And yet....MikroTik was really hard for me as i'd been deep into Cisco and L3 switching which is not where MikroTik was 12 years ago. It took weeks of tinkering to figure out how to get things done.

Fast forward 12 years and today I run the largest MikroTik consulting firm on the planet - but I learned a lot along the way. I know some amazing CCIEs that have built huge networks and struggled to figure out MikroTik for a while. It's not a sign of anything other than a new challenge to learn. We don't need to gatekeep.

I started a series for other Cisco engineers to lower the barrier to entry:

Switching and VLANs
https://stubarea51.net/2019/02/06/cisco ... and-vlans/

OSPFv2
https://stubarea51.net/2018/01/05/cisco ... tion-ospf/

BGPv4
https://stubarea51.net/2015/11/09/cisco ... ation-bgp/

MPLS
https://stubarea51.net/2018/05/03/cisco ... otik-mpls/

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2022 11:13 pm

Awesome IPANET, your willingness to share much of that hard work freely on these forums is admirable and appreciated!! I marvel at your diagrams alone, let alone the knowledge behind them!

Hey tangent, I made fun of Cisco and MT equally. No I am not beholding to any corporation these days. Corporate Greed is whats killing democracies where the middle class cannot thrive but thats a subject for another day. As for the OP, if he had stated, something like yeah who would thunk that MT would be harder than CISCO aka showed a sense of humour and/or stated thanks for the links I will take a look at them....... I would have been fine. There was nothing, repeat nothing untoward in my first post. Read it again. However whining never gets the best response from me. Nor does responses defending the whining. ;-P

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 18, 2022 7:34 am

When someone creates an account to ask a question, and they have put in the effort to try to figure things out themselves, for something that was easy for them using a platform they were familiar with, they are already frustrated.

Tone matters.

If you don't know someone, poking fun at them or what they know isn't the best way to "win friends and influence people". (I need to review these more frequently, because I can be quite blunt at times).

If you would have said something like "Cisco syntax is quite different than MikroTik", and left Cisco spelled correctly, I doubt the reaction would have been the same.

I had a Mathematics professor at University that was intelligent, but a poor teacher. One classic case I remember was in a "mathematical logic and set theory" class, where he was trying to explain something that was so obvious to him, that he said something along the lines of "This should be obvious to a moron. Does anyone have any questions?" What is telling is that I don't remember what the topic was, but I remember the incident well, and my guess is that many others is the class would remember it to, even though it was over 40 years ago.

The links were helpful (other than the link to paragraph C pointing the the incorrect post #46 instead of #1).

And remember that what is "intuitive" (or "logical") depends on what you have been exposed to previously. The Myth of Intuitive Design or for a humorous song parody video Paint It Black / Another Brick In The Wall Parody Song for those who hate technology
Last edited by Buckeye on Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 18, 2022 8:47 am

/interface bridge vlan
When I try to use that on my hEX running v7.2.1 the second add is rejected because vlan id 100 already exists. I get failure: vlan already added
In MikroTik the vlan commands are vlan centric, e.g. you have a single line for vlan-ids 100, and then you specify all the prots (including the bridge) where the vlan will be tagged, and all the ports where it will be untagged.

The syntax @cfikes presented looks correct to me. And I think you had the tagging/untagging correct, but you needed to combine into a single command for vlan 100. To modify it you have to use set, but then you also need to specify a matching line (as shown with /interface bridge vlan print) when using set, or figure out how to use the [find ...] command (which I have not mastered yet).

In Cisco, vlans are switchport centric, e.g. for each switch port you tell it what vlans are allowed, and which one is the native vlan (the untagged vlan for the port. Compared to Cisco or most other vendors, MikroTik is very verbose, almost like assembly language versus a higher level language.)