Community discussions

MikroTik App

signal64k
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS on DEC840 – OPNsense® Desktop Security Appliance

Thu May 19, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi there, I got this DEC840 from Opnsense and tried to install RouterOS on it because i felt the need to.
But the installer just never gets past the screen where I select "install routeros"

I wonder if anyone has experience installing routeros on something that is not Tik hardware?

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS on DEC840 – OPNsense® Desktop Security Appliance

Thu May 19, 2022 9:10 pm

Most standard intel/amd64 boxes are able to run CHR. What kind of supervisor are you using, ie VMware Player, ESXi or Hyper-V?

signal64k
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2022 10:20 pm

That’s physical Hardware. 8 amd Cores 16g RAM, 4 Intel gibt interfaces and 2 sfp+ cages and nvme drive.
Edit: it’s an appliance sold by deciso.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 19, 2022 10:39 pm

Yeah, I had a quick look at the specs and the DEC840 reminds of a standard PC equipped with AMD so it should probably do alright. Maybe somewhat expensive but I guess it depends on the packaging that includes one year of OpenSense Business Edition.

Anyhow, RouterOS CHR will only be able to run as virtual machine thus you first need to install for example ESXi (check if not already installed) or Hyper-V Server (bare metal). If neither works you may install Linux or a regular Windows Server with Hyper-V role, VMware Player (alt. Workstation), VirtualBox, KVM, and others.

Check out the help page for "Cloud Hosted Router (CHR)"

Ps.. Just curious, why do you want to swap to RouterOS instead of OPNsense?

signal64k
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2022 11:16 pm

I thought I could just slap the iso installer on there bare metal but guess that’s off the table.
I own some mikrotik crs devices for 10g switching.
When I got my 10g fiber I needed a new router and bought the CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS which is a fine fast device but those fans always ramp up at night. If that would be passive cooled I had kept it. Loved it but too loud to put in your hallway. Then i went for the deciso appliance and opnsense. Mainly because it’s full metal body and no fans. Dual sfp+, 4x1g Copper and makes no noise. That’s the only reason. If this would run routerOS bare metal that‘d be a match Made in Heaven. Or if mikrotik would do a device like that, I’d probably spend a grand on that too, when silent.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 19, 2022 11:34 pm

Haha, well, the CCR2004 might be somewhat loud to have close by the bedroom. ;-)

Are you absolutely sure the DEC840 doesn't come with ESXi installed? Check the docs if there is a way to access the VMware ESXi console. If not I'd start with try to install ESXi or Hyper-V Server in that order. Both free of charge and tend to be quite forgiving when it comes to new hardware nowadays.

The next step is Windows Server, Win11 or Linux whatever you prefer using a vm host free of choice (ie Hyper-V, VirtBox, etc). The only difference compared to ESXi/Hyper-V Server is a bit more overhead (but you probably won't notice anything with that cpu) as well as you get a boat load of unnecessary stuff ie occupies a lot more disk space.

signal64k
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2022 11:48 pm

Yeah, the dec850 (forgot that I got the big one) might be able to run esxi but I don’t want to waste resources on that. That’s what I got my sever for. Atm opnsense is FreeBSD 13 and you can do all the bsd things you like there. it’s ok‘ish.. does the job but some tings are different in routerOS. For example in opnsense your WireGuard interface has to be a different subnet.. in routerOS it was just some ips in the present subnet (made my life way easier with IPsec vpns/ no separate ike2 connection for main lan and WireGuard to access a tunnel) so I guess I’ll just wait and pray until, some time in the future, mikrotik might release an amd64 installer iso for bare metal :( or creates something like the dec840/dec850 all passive.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 am

Agree, we'll just have to wait and hope for the best. What about the RB5009 with passiv cooling and is equipped with a 10G SFP+ cage? It would probably perform pretty good using wg (but lacks ipsec hw support)