Community discussions

MikroTik App

NLMC
just joined
Topic Author

CRS305 to Wireless Router - Lan Route

Wed May 18, 2022 1:41 am

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is a rather basic question. I'm not super experienced in networking.

The network setup I have is:

Modem -> CRS305 -> Wireless Router

The CRS305 is being used as a router, not a switch, because I need to be able to connect my 10GB NAS to the internet as well as 10GB wired connections to my two workstations. This way the internet goes through the 10GB wired connections and also allows my NAS to be communicating at 10GB and connected to the internet.

The Wireless router is attached because I still need a wireless network as well.

Currently, with the wireless router attached, the 10GB LAN connections won't connect to the internet.

Based on what I've researched so far, it seems like that is related to a LAN Route issue.

The LAN Route function on my router says this:
"This function allows you to add routing rules into GT-AX11000. It is useful if you connect several routers behind GT-AX11000 to share the same connection to the Internet."

In order to hopefully fix this, my Wireless Router needs:
Network/Host IP
Netmask
Gateway
Metric
Interface

My issue is that I have no idea how to find that information in WinBox so I can add it to the LAN - Route.

Can anyone help with this? Thank you.

zandor
just joined

Re: CRS305 to Wireless Router - Lan Route

Fri May 20, 2022 4:54 am

It probably is a routing or address assignment issue (which would cause problems with routing), but I doubt you can fix it by adding a static route to your WiFi router.

Do the machines connected to the CRS305 have internet access if the WiFi router is disconnected? (might have to reboot or at least take interfaces down and back up to be sure) That's the first thing to get working.

Do WiFi clients have Internet access?

If the CRS305 works alone but "breaks" sometime after you plug the WiFi router in the first thing that pops into my head is that if you have two routers plugged into each other's LAN ports in a typical home internet configuration you'll end up with two DHCP servers. Clients generally take whichever address they get first. In your case the Asus GT-AX11000 Rog Rapture has a far more powerful CPU than a CRS305 (1.8Ghz quad core vs. 800Mhz single core), so I wouldn't be surprised if the Rapture won every time, told all your computers it was the route to the Internet, then the Internet doesn't work because the Asus doesn't have anything plugged into the WAN port.

What kind logical of network setup are you aiming for? Just a normal home setup with one subnet, or something more complex? The usual way to use a wired router with a WiFi router is have the wired router do all the routing and put the WiFi router in access point mode. That more or less turns it into a WiFi switch. It turns off the DHCP servers and normally all the ports become LAN ports.

It might help if you posted the config for your CRS305 and also some info about how your WiFi router is configured and what your computers are using for IPs and routes. For the CRS305 you can dump the config with "export file=somefilename". Then you can open the files window in WinBox and drag it to a folder on a PC. Best to edit out anything sorta sensitive, like public IP addresses.

Also, a heads up: The CRS series devices are switches that can do some routing. They don't have powerful CPUs, and you need CPU for routing. Depending on how fast your Internet service is a CRS305 may not be good enough. I'm not sure what a CRS305 can handle. Maybe someone else can comment on that. Once you get it working I'd run a speed test and see how it does.