Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jusufs
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik - assign same wireless to two bridges

Sun May 22, 2022 10:16 am

Hi,
I have two separate networks on same RB router and one wireless assigned to bridge 1.
Is it possible to assign same wireless to both bridges please ?
Do I need define additional pool for Bridge 2 wireless ?
Now I can only connect to Bridge 1 wireless.
I need to connect some local IPs to Bridge 2 but only wireless !
Thanks for help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik - assign same wireless to two bridges

Sun May 22, 2022 12:36 pm

I guess you are very confused about how things work if you ask this question.
You have to make a virtual wlan which will have another SSID and put it in the other bridge.

Jusufs
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 22, 2022 12:48 pm

OK, thanks. I'm not a profi. Some link how to do it please ?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 22, 2022 1:16 pm

While I have the same impression like @rextended, there is a way to place some wireless clients connecting to a wireless interface connected to bridge1 into a dedicated VLAN on bridge1, using /interface wireless access-list. And if really necessary, you can link bridge2 to that VLAN by means of /interface vlan whose tagged end will be on bridge1 and the tagless end will be a member port of bridge2.

As for client identity, the wireless access list rules can only match on a MAC address of the client; more flexibility (username matching) might be available using a RADIUS server.

But regarding "connection of some local IPs to bridge2", I have no idea what you have in mind.

Can you describe the real requirement, i.e. what is the required difference in treatment of the two groups of wireless clients connecting to the same SSID? There may be a less twisted way to accomplish that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 22, 2022 2:07 pm

In short, state the requirements from the user perspective, without mention of configuration.
How many different users or groups of users (or devices) do you have and what do they need to do or not do.
Once known, then a config will more naturally fall out.
For example, home wired users, home wifi users, guest wifi users, IOT device on wifi, cameras on wifi etc....

Jusufs
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2022 7:02 pm

I have two bridges. One for private IP pool 192.168.100.0/24 and second to internet opened bridge2.
Most of devices are connected wired (and wireless to only one wifi AP on Mikrotik) to bridge1.
Access from internet to bridge1 is only via Mikrotik VPN from some phones and notebook.

The second bridge2 has a pool 192.168.101.0/24 only for wired connections.
Two filter rules are used for disabling of cross communication between bridge1 and 2.

I need to connect a raspberry zero wireless to bridge 2, but wireless AP is defined and used only on bridge1.
Same wifi AP can't be assigned to two bridges - and this is my problem.
Of course assigning to wired part of bridge 2 is possible, but zero has no RJ45 connector.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 7:31 pm

If so, I think the easiest way is to add a virtual wireless interface with the existing one as a master and its own SSID and security profile, and make that virtual wireless interface a member port of bridge2.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 9:22 pm

You could also use one Bridge with multiple VLAN instead if multiple Bridges.

Jusufs
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 am

All done. I defined a virtual Wifi as slave to main wifi AP and assigned it to bridge 2.
This video is helpfull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Totv5swGLgI
Thanks for help.