Community discussions

MikroTik App

kolbep
just joined
Topic Author

Limiting Traffic from NVR (Quota, not Bandwidth)

Mon May 23, 2022 5:35 pm

Hi,
Don't know how to phrase the topic.
I have a customer that has a remote branch, that branch has a Mikrotik LTE router, that has a Capped LTE connection of 10GB per month. After that 10GB (which gets topped up on the 6th) is used up, they need to purchase an expensive top-up for their connection to work again.

That Mikrotik has a SSTP VPN running to their main branch, for remote viewing of the Camera NVR, and for the timeclock system to report back to the logging system at the main branch, as well as for the IP Phone to connect back to the PABX at the main branch.
Other Traffic from the remote office (ie web browsing) goes directly out of the LTE, and not on the VPN.

The problem they have is that sometimes the person at the main branch forgets to log out viewing the Camera NVR, which then uses approx 1GB per hour.
when that happens, it uses all their data cap in a matter of hours. The NVR and the Remote Viewing software do not have a timeout setting.

I did create a queue for the NVR outbound traffic that gives them say 5Mbps for 30 minutes or so, then slows them down to a crawl, but was wondering if there is a more elegant way to do it,
eg, similar to Hotspot limits, we give the NVR 500MB Traffic per 24 hour period, then cut them off (but the other devices will still function,
or some way to say that traffic from the NVR out, once it has been running for 30 minutes, the remaining traffic is blocked for a period (basically to cause the remote software to log out)

Is there some way that we can do that with MT? or some search terms I could use?
Maybe the hotspot is the way to go, but I would prefer not to add a NAT in, and would prefer to keep the NVR's IP address the same?

Thanks
Peter