Community discussions

MikroTik App

mwiesenhaan
just joined
Topic Author

Zerotier controller problem on RB4011 ARM

Mon May 23, 2022 4:21 pm

I'm trying to follow the example on https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... uterOSHome but the Controller command seems to be missing. I'm running v7.2.3 and have installed the Zerotier package. I can see the Zerotier option in the UI and can access it in the terminal but the Controller command results in an error. What am I missing?

I prefer self controlled access controls over centralised controls hence my preference for running my own controller - if I can get it to work...

mwiesenhaan
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Zerotier controller problem on RB4011 ARM  [SOLVED]

Thu May 26, 2022 1:03 pm

Raised a ticket with support and as it stands, the self-hosted ZeroTier Controller functionality is currently in beta. This wasn't clear to me from the example but it case anybody else is trying this: now you know why it doesn't work.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Zerotier controller problem on RB4011 ARM

Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm

To getting started quickly, I recommend starting with the "Basic" variant and the ZeroTier Hosted Controller and then move along to your own server. Use the stable version (ie not Master). The configuration differs depending if you want to host a private root server (aka moon) or not. Check out: https://docs.zerotier.com/self-hosting/introduction

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 2:48 pm

What I recommend is for you to get off the butterfly/mouse sofa and thus be able to recommend something a tad more MT centric.

--------> https://docs.zerotier.com/devices/mikrotik

But but but,,,,,,,,,,,, its not populated?
Hence, the recommendation for you to add something here thats actually useful!!!! :-) Im a slave driver. :-)

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 3:06 pm

Well, I've to admit that "docs.zerotier.com/devices/mikrotik" might be better starting point if sufficiently populated. ;-)

Anyhow, given the lack of usefull information at MT (aka best practice) there might be room for some improvements. What about Amm0s "ZeroTier on Mikrotik – a rosetta stone", too comprehensive, complex or what?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 5:15 pm

Well......... its on my to do list. In the meantime your expertise was requested on another thread, just suggesting you kill two mouses with one stone and put it at the website you linked to and then I can just read that.........

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 9:12 pm

Any thoughts about the objective for this (like target audience and document disposition) ie for example ZT for dummies, step-by-step guide initial setup, technical user guide or/and best practice with multiple sceneries etc?