Community discussions

MikroTik App

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik HAP AC2 fails to link 1Gbps

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:16 am

Hello!

I have the MikroTik HAP AC2. Since now, I had 75mbps from my ISP, which is now increased to 300mbps. However, the HAP fails to link at 1Gbps. My installation is pretty simple, there are built in cables in the building, where I live, and I don't use any other switches, the inbound cable goes directly into the router. My internal network operates at 1gbps just fine.
The ISP sent a tech guy, who checked all the pins and they are OK. They also provided me a 1gbit router (Smartcom), which links successfully at 1Gbps.
I tried to disable Auto Negotiation on ehter1 and tried to force 1gbit, no success. Are there any other settings or configurations, that I might try? I think that this issue might be caused by a bad/cheap cable, but still...the other device manages to connect.

Thank you!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik HAP AC2 fails to link 1Gbps

Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 am

I am confused. You state you have a 300Mbps connection from your ISP but are not happy that you are getting a 1gigbit link??

OR are you saying that with the hapac2 you have been only getting between 75-300Mbps on a 1 Gig link from the ISP??

I will assume its the latter.

Certainly trying a different cable between the MOdem and the Router is a good idea and then plug your test unit directly into the router ports.

If you want us to look at your config
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:03 am

Assuming you have ISP modem connected to ether1, please provide output of the following commands:
/interface ethernet export
/interface ethernet monitor ether1 once

Can you change ethernet cable connecting ISP modem and hAP ac2? If cable (or RJ45 connectors) are marginal, then it might work with some devices and not with other devices.

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks both for the input.

I am confused. You state you have a 300Mbps connection from your ISP but are not happy that you are getting a 1gigbit link??

OR are you saying that with the hapac2 you have been only getting between 75-300Mbps on a 1 Gig link from the ISP??

I will assume its the latter.

Certainly trying a different cable between the MOdem and the Router is a good idea and then plug your test unit directly into the router ports.

If you want us to look at your config
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

I probably failed to explain the whole picture quite well. The HAP links only at 100mbps at ether1, and my internet speed is limited to 100mbps - (speedtest gets 95-6mbps) I have a gigabit connection only in my internal network - which is for example transfer between NAS drive and a computer, both connected to the router.
I'm only able to get 1gbps connection (limited to 300mbps) internet speed, only if I use the router, provided by my ISP.

Unfortunately, using a different cable between the modem and the HAP is not an option. The ISP modem is in the basement, cables are built in, and I'm on the 7th floor...not sure if somebody could possibly replace the cables.

Config is attached.
settingshapac2.rsc
Assuming you have ISP modem connected to ether1, please provide output of the following commands:
/interface ethernet export
/interface ethernet monitor ether1 once

Can you change ethernet cable connecting ISP modem and hAP ac2? If cable (or RJ45 connectors) are marginal, then it might work with some devices and not with other devices.
Screenshot of both commands output is attached.
Screenshot 2020-11-16 163109.jpg

As I said, changing cable is currently not an option. The tech guy checked the RJ45s with a multimeter and said they are OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Neither your hAP ac2, nor the device on either end is advertising 1Gbit.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Huh?
Why is advertising limited to 100Mbps? There is nothing in the config. RouterOS reacting on cable? (Not all 4 wire-pairs connected?)
Just checked my hAP ac2: 1000M here with or without cable. Partner on ether3 is even only 100Mbps.

Check cable with "/interface ethernet cable-test ether1 once" ?
[admin@hAPac2] /interface ethernet> export
# nov/16/2020 16:37:21 by RouterOS 6.46.7
# software id = B8YC-C4XL
#
# model = RBD52G-5HacD2HnD
# serial number = A.........

[admin@hAPac2] /interface ethernet> monitor ether4 once
                      name: ether4
          auto-negotiation: done
               advertising: 10M-half,10M-full,100M-half,100M-full,1000M-half,1000M-full
  link-partner-advertising: 
[admin@hAPac2] /interface ethernet>
[admin@hAPac2] /interface ethernet> monitor ether3 once    
                      name: ether3
                      rate: 100Mbps
               full-duplex: yes
           tx-flow-control: no
           rx-flow-control: no
  link-partner-advertising: 10M-half,10M-full,100M-half,100M-full

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Is that what you asked for?

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface ethernet cable-test ether1 once
name: ether1

Regarding advertising - it is set on Auto Negotiation. If i uncheck this and try to force it to link 1gbps, it fails.

About ehter3 - this is my PC. It seems that it connects only on 100mbps, if pluged directly to the wall ethernet socket. If i connect a gigabit switch to the wall first, then it connects at 1Gbps...

It seems to me that the built in cables are just bad/cheap and they are unable to transmit the signal properly on a longer distance.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Check, that you advertise 1000M:
ether1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:24 pm

If you remove the 1000M in the GUI, this is shown in the config export.

/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] advertise=10M-half,10M-full,100M-half,100M-full

That's what I don't understand. The hAP ac2 NOT advertising 1000M without config setting ? Even setting a MAC address is with OP's config is not related.

The cable (7 floors , 25 meter?) that is not allowing that speed because it is not CAT5E or CAT6 , or has somewhere a sharp bend or knot, or parallel to power cables, that I do understand.

What happens with the advertising when there is NO cable attached to that port ??

Only difference I see is the ROS version. But that would be a major bug in 6.47.7 .

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface ethernet monitor ether1 once
name: ether1

This is what I get with no cable plugged on ether1

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Amazing ! No?
So the port advertises 1000M , but drops to advertising 100M when that cable is plugged in.
Tried the AR8327 switch chip data sheets, but the 394 pages didn't help much.
(Did somebody set : Half Power Mode for Cable length less than 30m (for home installations) ??? )

We are not alone with this. Cables tend to be below spec for some connections, while performing for others.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/f ... pic/192296
https://superuser.com/questions/1501410 ... ction-to-r

and with the possible answer: "All 8 wires are used for 1Gbps connections so if just one wire is bad, then it will drop to 100Mbps which is probably why games are running fine still because the remaining 100Mbps wires are fine. – HazardousGlitch Nov 12 '19 at 14:25"

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:45 pm

I would just use another cable and plug it into another device close to your hap ac2 to see if it connects correctly. If it does, it is most likely a cable/rj45 issue.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 pm

The tech guy checked the RJ45s with a multimeter and said they are OK.

So funny.

Here's what happened to me (was building a house for myself): I've had a certified electrician pull all the UTP cables from wall outlets around the house to the central location. The guy installed all the wall jacks and I installed the patch pannels. He did the job fine, multimeter showed vast majority of outlets done just fine. One of outlets (far, but not too far, around 25 metres of cat5e cable) was sometimes misbehaving but that was it. A couple of years later I had opportinity to borrow a professional ethernet cable tester (product of Fluke) ... and guess what, not even one single outlet was inside tolerances. And why? Because the guy, doing installation as the electrician he was, untwisted all the wire pairs in length of around 10 cm to make outlet installation easier. So I had to re-twist all the wire pairs in all the outlets (I've got around 50 of them around my house ... no, the house is not that big). Since then not a single hiccup anywhere around the house, everything works @Gbps just fine.

Kindis

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:43 pm

What happen if you put a Gbit switch between?
Just to see if the switch can get at 1 Gbit link.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 pm

Once had to install "a 100Mb hub / year 2000" to connect a PC on the 7th floor, with a shielded (!) cable coming from the basement and actually a little bit over the allowed length. The hub did better than the desktop PC ethernet card as there was also an impedance mismatch.

This could today be done with a GePR (https://mikrotik.com/product/gper) . Just one would do. But the hAP ac2 has no PoE out, so the power injector would be an additional cost.

HerrBo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:28 pm

So I tested with a gigabit switch, and it didn't work. (some cheap tp link)
I also set 2 bridge ports on the IPS router (the one they gave to me), and used it as a gigabit switch - the HAP links at 1gbps. If I connect a device directly to the HAP, the device connects at 1gbps, and the effective speed measured with speedtest is 100 mbps. However...I now get only 100mbps effective speed on the wall sockets, the devices connect at 1gbps. (again via gigabit switch) but speedtest shows 100mbps.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:27 pm

I am almost tempted to recommend solving this issue by a pair of these pointing at each other (Bottom Floor to Upper Floor) since rewiring may be near impossible.
https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire_nray

Kindis

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:37 pm

So I tested with a gigabit switch, and it didn't work. (some cheap tp link)
I also set 2 bridge ports on the IPS router (the one they gave to me), and used it as a gigabit switch - the HAP links at 1gbps. If I connect a device directly to the HAP, the device connects at 1gbps, and the effective speed measured with speedtest is 100 mbps. However...I now get only 100mbps effective speed on the wall sockets, the devices connect at 1gbps. (again via gigabit switch) but speedtest shows 100mbps.
So if you added the switch did both ISP cable and cable from hAP AC2 link at 100 or did hAP AC2 link to 1 Gbit?

gvango
just joined

Sat May 28, 2022 1:35 pm

Neither your hAP ac2, nor the device on either end is advertising 1Gbit.
I had the same problem. I monitored the cables and found that ether 5 (Lan) was only 100Mbps. I replaced the cable with a new one and all is fine now.! I get the full speed my ISP gives me. 213Mbps fron only 95-96Mbps!!