Community discussions

MikroTik App

bcbigb
just joined
Topic Author

Suggestions for Changelog Page: Dynamic Version Header w/ Branch Indicator

Sat May 28, 2022 7:16 pm

I often browse the changelogs to figure out when something was added or to verify some compatibility, as it serves as a faster "indexed" alternative to sifting though the wiki for many questions with clearly-definable terms, like a switch chip model# or "IPSEC", etc.

The one problem I find myself having all of the time is having to constantly scroll up to see what version a change was applied in, especially when jumping to search results, as usually the version/header is off the page up above and many of the versions have patch notes far more than one page long.

>> Suggestions:

1) My first suggestion is to add a floating/dynamic bar that just lists the version and date as shown at the top of each version's notes. I'm not a web developer, but I've talked to friends and they say that for a simple page like this it shouldn't be too much work.

2) My second suggestion, would be to add a branch indicator so it's always clear which one you're browsing (i.e. "Long-Term", "Development" etc). This could either be added to each version's header on the page and then travel with the floating bar, or it could just appear on the floating bar alone.

Alternately, the branch indicator could be somewhere else, like the lower-right or vertically on the left-hand side, maybe as a color, though I think this is more trouble than it's worth and delineation like this would only be worth it if there were ever a "combined" patch notes where all branches were diffed and put on one page, so you could see each change regardless of branch. While this combined notes is a neat idea, it's not one I'm pushing for right now as I can't say there's an urgent need for it at the moment. I would also avoid putting a branch indicator in the page title since tabs are quickly squashed together in most browsers, even before they get too crowded.

I've attached a mockup, the base layer of which is inverted since I use Dark Reader (Mikrotik's pages, including the wiki, look quite good in this scheme... maybe worth adding a dark theme to the site? :-) ). I've outlined the floating bar and pulled it down a little from the header for clarity, both of which actually look kind-of good on the inverted scheme. It could be lined up at the top under the blue header bar too, but I think it will require a touch of color or a separator and lining it up with the changelog indentation, since otherwise it'll blend in with the background of the page and be very unclear it's part of the changelog.

Anyways, see what you guys think...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.