Community discussions

MikroTik App

tuxtlequino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Using certificates brakes RADIUS login (User Manager v5 ROS7)

Sun May 29, 2022 6:02 am

I have been trying to get RADIUS to work under the using the new user manager on ROS7 (7.2.3). It is very easy to use add RADIUS to authenticate into Mikrotik. I will add the configuration here just in case I am missing something. For the sake of simplicity I am using the same router to provide the RADIUS server and authenticate into.

I changed the secrets and passwords in this example.
# Enabling User Manager 
/user-manager
set enabled=yes

# Adding access points
/user-manager router
add name=Router address=192.168.99.8 shared-secret=1234

# Adding user
/user-manager user
add name=test password=pasword1234
Now. Remember that I am using the same device to test the RADIUS server and client.
# Connect to RADIUS server
/radius add address=192.168.99.8 secret=1234 service=login timeout=1s

# Enable RADIUS authentication on Mikrotik
/user aaa
set default-group=full use-radius=yes
This configuration works. But I will also like to use RADIUS to authenticate "wireless." I tried following the documentation multiduplikator provided here. https://github.com/multiduplikator/mikrotik_EAP

I am going to provide what I added. I did not add a client certificate since I do not believe that this is necessary for this exercise (FYI adding the client certificate does not fix any problems)
#Enable CRL
/certificate settings

# Generating a Certificate Authority
/certificate
add name=RouterCA common-name=Router subject-alt-name=IP:192.168.99.8 key-size=secp384r1 digest-algorithm=sha384 days-valid=1825 key-usage=key-cert-sign,crl-sign
sign RouterCA ca-crl-host=192.168.99.8 name=RouterCA

# Generating a server certificate for User Manager
add name=EAP_AP common-name=EAP_AP subject-alt-name=IP:192.168.99.8 key-size=secp384r1 digest-algorithm=sha384 days-valid=730 key-usage=tls-server
sign EAP_AP ca=RouterCA name=EAP_AP
set EAP_AP trusted=yes
set crl-use=yes
So far, so good. But when I try to setup user manager to add WiFi Ent, this brakes the login authentication that was working before. This is what I add to the user manager
/user-manager
set enabled=yes certificate=EAP_AP

# Adding access points
/user-manager router
add name=Router address=192.168.99.8 shared-secret=1234

# Limiting allowed authentication methods
/user-manager user group
set [find where name=default] outer-auths=eap-peap inner-auths=peap-mschap2
add name=certificate-authenticated outer-auths=eap-tls

# Adding users
/user-manager user
add name=test2 group=default password=password1234 shared-users=2
Any ideas? Ideally I would like to add RADIUS +WiFi Ent but I am stuck here.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Using certificates brakes RADIUS login (User Manager v5 ROS7)

Sun May 29, 2022 10:58 am

tuxtlequino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi own3r1138,

I was actually hoping you or fritzme read my post since I had read and re-read the post you linked before. I am not sure why the instructions didn't work for me. And I am not sure why trying them broke the login in Mikrotik that was already working. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere, but I couldn't find anything in what I typed that could be the problem.

Any clue would be greatly appreciated.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 29, 2022 7:31 pm

@tuxtlequino

What you posted ( config aspect ) is different from what we discussed on that topic.
The certificate you have created is self-signed, I used the Let's Encrypt certificate.
Please post your latest config and ensure your export includes the user-man, wireless interface, certificates, and radius sections.

tuxtlequino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2022 4:14 am

@own3r1138

I had shown all of my configurations in the first post. I figured out that I couldn't login authenticate because I didn't have the right inner and outer-auths in my '/user-manager/user/group' groups. But if I modify my configuration to the following,
/user-manager/user/group
set [ find default-name=default ] inner-auths=peap-mschap2 outer-auths=mschap2,eap-tls,eap-peap,eap-mschap2
I now can authenticate into MikroTik using RADIUS. I didn't have enough time to play with the CAPsMAN configuration and see if that makes a difference. I also added this to my configuration (although it was authenticating to login) just in case,
/user-manager
set certificate=EAP_AP enabled=yes
I do think that it is a bug that if I delete the certificates and restore the configurations to how things were before I modified anything, RADIUS and the new user manager does not work at all. I needed to restart the router and reset the user manager database (although maybe just a reset was all that was needed.)

I also noticed that in your radius client, you also used certificates. I think that I may be able to use that, but since I am signing my own, that may cause a problem since it is self-signed. This is what I have,
/radius
add accounting-backup=no accounting-port=1813 address=192.168.99.8 authentication-port=1812 called-id="" certificate=none disabled=no domain="" protocol=udp realm="" service=login timeout=1s
I will go back now and try to see if I can get WiFi Ent using "Let's Encrypt." This is where I need help.

1. I created a certificate for the main router, but I do not want to do any testing on that router since it is a "production router." My question is, Can you transfer that certificate into a test router? I you can, how?
2. A lot of the instructions also try to create client certificates and use those. I see that fritzme did that, but did you do that too?
3. Could you share what is your `/radius` client's configurations and what you `/user-manager/user/group` defaults are? That could help me to get my wireless set up working.
3. I want to use CAPsMAN. I saw in the other post what you do for AP's and the security profiles. Have you ever done CAPsMAN? If you do, would you mind sharing your `/caps-man security
`setup?

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 30, 2022 12:58 pm

@tuxtlequino
Again we are not on the same page and as your previous config was with the self-signed I asked for a new config.
1. I created a certificate for the main router, but I do not want to do any testing on that router since it is a "production router." My question is, Can you transfer that certificate into a test router? I you can, how?
You can export and import the certificate but working properly is a different matter depending on your CRL, Common name, etc.
2. A lot of the instructions also try to create client certificates and use those. I see that fritzme did that, but did you do that too?
You don't need to as let's encrypt is a valid certificate.
3. Could you share what is your `/radius` client's configurations and what you `/user-manager/user/group` defaults are? That could help me to get my wireless set up working.
2022-05-30_14-10-12.png
4. I want to use CAPsMAN. I saw in the other post what you do for AP's and the security profiles. Have you ever done CAPsMAN? If you do, would you mind sharing your `/caps-man security
`setup?
Personally, I don't use CAPsMAN one AP is more than enough for my home but I did use it in production so I can't share any details about that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tuxtlequino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Using certificates brakes RADIUS login (User Manager v5 ROS7)  [SOLVED]

Tue May 31, 2022 3:38 am

@own3r1138

Thank you very much for that help. Okay, this is what I figured out.

1. I needed to modify some of the inner-auths and other-auths in order to get login to work. THIS WAS THE TRUE PROBLEM.
2. I was trying to get my CAPsMAN router to connect to a working RADIUS server, but my firewall was blocking that. If you are looking at this as reference to know how to get your RADIUS server to work, figure out how to get your firewall working out before doing this.

So. Using certificates didn't brake anything. It was my firewall and trying to connect to a new router. Hope this helps someone.