MikroTik App

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

hAP lite TC - is antenna mod possible?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Hello.

Is it possible to disassemble hAP lite TC (relatively easily without destroying whole case because idk it's glued or something) and mod it with custom antenna? I mean, how does this antenna used in hAP lite look like? It's something like pigtail inside the case with some standard connector or... what exactly? Would it be possible to connect some normal antenna to it in order to increase signal quality? Or it wouldn't work because of some other reason? Afaik signal "quality" is more or less proportional to (host_power * host_antenna_gain * receiver_antenna_gain) please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'm asking because hAP lite and mAP lite and maybe "normal" mAP seem to be the only 3 models powered via 5V USB thus they're the only 3 models that can be actually powered from powerbank or laptop making them really good wifi receiver for laptop. Even with this 1.5dBi mAP is already amazing device for such task and out competes laptop wifi card. However still they all are non-"H" models (well not a big surprise considering they're powered by 5V USB) so I'd be interested in upgrading it (by antenna upgrade) to make competitive to RB2011 signal quality... or at least make it as close to it as possible.

with http://routerboard.com/ACOMNIRPSMA or http://routerboard.com/ACSWIM

I'm not afraid of some soldering if it'd be required but still if it's not possible at all or it doesn't make any sense i'd like to know before messing with device.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hAP lite TC - is antenna mod possible?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:34 am

the hAP lite antenna is on the PCB and there is no connector:

You are right about the variables, but this also means that if you will not improve your smartphone antenna and RX sensitivity, nothing will change much

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:48 am

Hi,
I'm also interesed in this mod.

I successfullly modded a RB 951G-2Hnd with 10dbi antennas and that thing is a beast. Now I'm working on a RB 951Ui-2Hnd but I was wondering if the hAP Lite can be modded too. I did some mods on USB WiFi adapters that have the same PCB type antennas (D-link Go 150, Tp-Link etc) and I think this is what need to be done, can anyone with experience confirm? (see attached pic).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:14 pm

When I would have to do that, my first try would be to cut the trace that you labeled "center wire" flush with the
ground plane, and solder a thin coax cable with the center conductor on the trace and the braid soldered to the
ground plane on both sides, as short as possible. Or solder a small coax connector at that position.

You should not have extra millimeters of 'wire' by cutting at random places such as you indicate.

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:02 pm

When I would have to do that, my first try would be to cut the trace that you labeled "center wire" flush with the
ground plane, and solder a thin coax cable with the center conductor on the trace and the braid soldered to the
ground plane on both sides, as short as possible. Or solder a small coax connector at that position.

You should not have extra millimeters of 'wire' by cutting at random places such as you indicate.
Something like in the attached pic?
Leave the extra ground trace uncut?

I know it should be as short as possible, I made the first pic for example only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Yes. Or instead of cable/braid a SMA, SMC, MCX or similar connector (PCB/Surface mount variant that fits the trace)

UMarcus
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Please take a look to this Topic, there are some pictures of hap device with external antennas mod.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=97980

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:45 pm

That is like what I had in mind, although I would have cut the inner coax lead much shorter.

danp
just joined

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:23 am

I realize this is quite late to answer, but looking at the FCC website (http://tinyurl.com/z69n77h) and clicking on internal photos, it shows a connector (uFL?) at J400.

If nothing else, it should be possible to remove the capacitor that connects the antenna to the board and solder in a connector. Lot of work but the board submitted to the FCC shows it is possible.

mgx0
just joined

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm

I realize this is quite late to answer, but looking at the FCC website (http://tinyurl.com/z69n77h) and clicking on internal photos, it shows a connector (uFL?) at J400.

If nothing else, it should be possible to remove the capacitor that connects the antenna to the board and solder in a connector. Lot of work but the board submitted to the FCC shows it is possible.
well that's not a uFL connector, this connector is not supposed to connect an antenna. This is a switching connector for testing units after manufacturing and has a hole instead of pin. This is where my experience ends and yes, I know I'm replying to 4 years old thread 😂 I'm gonna do the antennas mod so I have found this thread

MasterCATZ
just joined

Mon May 30, 2022 1:47 pm

me too !!

hopefully all goes well with the 2x 952ui-5ac2nd I am eyeing off for making use in the shed for all the esp32's I have floating around , main issue is I need an external antenna out side of the shed and then I can have a smaller one inside for the devices

I am thinking of using 5ghz for outdoor bridging and then the 2.4ghz for the devices