Community discussions

MikroTik App

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Moonlight game streaming issues

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:05 am

I'm trying to run Moonlight ( https://moonlight-stream.org/ ) to stream games to my android handhelds, but it have issues whit Mikrotik APs.

When I run games they quite often have latency issues, Moonlight doesn't show actual frame drops, but sudden large variations in latency that causes stutters in picture and sound. Stutter is the worst on input, when I mass buttons or use analog sticks/joypad is stutters the most. On the same network setup TP-Link EAP225 AP and android TV connected to ethernet works just fine. I have tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, various setting adjustments that could impact frame flow, capsman, no capsman - nothing helps. I have even adjusted APs bridge setting, ROS version is latest v6 stable and v7 stable. Videos stream was kept reasonable - 720p, 5mbps. Tried on multiple android phones, client version was kept the same.

I have added sample video whit issue - https://cloud.harijs.id.lv/index.php/s/wirfS7gJ8jbiRKW

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Moonlight game streaming issues

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:03 pm

What is the AP that you're using and how is it configed?
Did you try to play the game from a PC, to see if the problem persists?
Any queue setup?

I constantly play via Moonlight: PC is eth connected to a gigabit switch, connected to Audience. The laptop where I play the game is connected to same Audience via Wifi.
Moonlight streaming is set up to 1080p, 60 FPS, 150 Mbps.
Until last night, before disabling Fasttrack and playing with some queues, streaming was flawless.
After setting up queues, some stuttering appeared - but the game was still largely playable (War Thunder, played online). With no other modifications, I thought my queues testing was to blame.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Moonlight game streaming issues

Mon May 30, 2022 9:05 pm

What is the AP that you're using and how is it configed?
Did you try to play the game from a PC, to see if the problem persists?
Any queue setup?

I constantly play via Moonlight: PC is eth connected to a gigabit switch, connected to Audience. The laptop where I play the game is connected to same Audience via Wifi.
Moonlight streaming is set up to 1080p, 60 FPS, 150 Mbps.
Until last night, before disabling Fasttrack and playing with some queues, streaming was flawless.
After setting up queues, some stuttering appeared - but the game was still largely playable (War Thunder, played online). With no other modifications, I thought my queues testing was to blame.
Sorry for late answer. When i setup for testing standalone mode it is all default, I change only country and wifi psk. I have tried hap ac2 (main main AP for that room), cap ac and SXTsq 5, also ac variant. By inspecting packets I can guess that there might be issue whit DSCP flagged, also don't fragment on phone sending side, packets. A I mentioned on wires its fine, on Tp-link its fine. Tp-link config is the same as Mikrotik AP, I configure as close as I can. Glad to hear that your Audience works just fine, you are pushing it quite aggressively. You are using wave2 package? I don't think that queues have something to do here, because qos works on routed traffic, besides I also tested AP in standalone mode, so it creates its own local network. This is pure L1, L2 issue.