Community discussions

MikroTik App

p3ter
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS vs Firmware versions - upgrade strategy?

Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:36 am

Hi,

I have been merrily upgrading RouterOS versions for 9 months, and had not noticed that upgrading the OS does not automatically upgrade the firmware... While this is a home network, I work from home, so my strategy for upgrades tends to be a risk calculation based on lot of "if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it" and "if the worst happens, do I have time for a scary Netinstall & reconfig today?", vs a bit of "stay current" and "get the new features". So for example on my main CCR1009 Router I am currently on RouterOS 7.2.3 but Firmware 6.46.4

So my questions are...
  1. Where does keeping Firmware and RouterOS versions in sync play into the risk vs reward calculation? (is it good practice to keep them synced, or doesn't it matter so much?)
  2. How can I see whether a change in a new release impacts 'Firmware' vs ' OS'? - I see categories like 'RouterBoot' and 'System' in release notes (which I might assume are firmware related), but as a newbie I don't have a very clear insight to whether a change is dependent on RouterBoard firmware upgrade or whether it only needs a RouterOS package update.
  3. Would you advise a significant delay "OS looks stable, now upgrade Firmware" - or is it relatively safe to do both one directly after the other?
  4. Of the 2, which upgrade comes with highest risk of 'bricking'?
Thanks!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS vs Firmware versions - upgrade strategy?

Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:45 pm

1. Hard to tell. Changes in routerboot firmware are only seldomly mentioned which probably indicates very seldom actual changes in firmware code. There are a few changes though, one was to enable booting ROS v7 (not sure if it was needed on all platforms or only a few).
    Personally I tend to keep firmware up to date, so far I never had any problems because of that. (I did have to downgrade ROS due to problems though). When preparing to upgrade to ROS v7 I tend to upgrade firmware in advance (it's a bit tricky to extract firmware files so I'm not recommending it to random members of public).
  2. see answer #1 above. Category "System" is AFAIK not related to firmware, "RouterBoot" is.
  3. personally I do upgrade firmware right after upgraded ROS starts. Usually I don't perform another reboot (to run updated firmware) though. I leave that to power outages :wink:
  4. risk of bricking is definitely much higher when upgrading ROS.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:34 pm

In the old days, firmware had a separate revision number and it would propose to update it only when that had changed in the RouterOS image.
So you could be running e.g. RouterOS 6.40 and firmware 3.23
Sometimes when you asked someone "what version RouterOS are you running?" they would find the "firmware version" and reply with like "3.22" and you knew it was the wrong version and had to ask again.

But at some point that was all destroyed by giving firmware the same version number as RouterOS. Now, when they reply "6.46.4" you still know nothing, they could be running RouterOS 7.2.3 in reality.
What that was good for, I don't know. Questions about it are not answered in a meaningful way, and it does not look like this decision will ever be reverted.

p3ter
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:21 pm

Thank you both! I understand a bit more, but seems like "its this way 'because it is'", so I will be sure to consult my Magic 8 ball and read some tea leaves before each upgrade decision :lol: