Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ayaz
just joined
Topic Author

Public hotspot wifi advice needed

Fri May 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Hello everybody!

I need an advice for which wireless devices to use for Public hotspot wifi for phones, that as much coverage as possible, approximately 500 clients will be connected, and each client will use 2Mbit/s, I'm planning to use mainly 2.4Ghz devices

Thanks in advance

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Public hotspot wifi advice needed

Fri May 27, 2022 1:47 pm

I can advise MT router only...........

Ayaz
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm

I can advise MT router only...........
yeah, MT router will also be needed at near future, but now I need Wireless devices

Ayaz
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2022 2:16 pm

I saw there are few option for MT Wireless outdoors, so which one of these device can handle 100 clients with 2mbit/s data rate?

MikroTik BaseBox 2 (1000 mWatts)
MikroTik mANTBox 2 12s (can't find output power info)
MikroTik mANTBox 52 15s (can't find output power info)
NetMetal ac2 (can't find output power info)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2022 5:27 pm

The answer was already provided. Large gathering WIFI is the forte of some vendors............. and others not.
Dont create a ruckus but do look around.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 1:17 am

The answer was already provided. Large gathering WIFI is the forte of some vendors............. and others not.
Bwahhhh hahahah

nordex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 31, 2022 9:36 am

:)

+1

Ca6ko

Tue May 31, 2022 11:06 pm

I saw there are few option for MT Wireless outdoors, so which one of these device can handle 100 clients with 2mbit/s data rate?
Personally, I don't know any such MT devices :wink:
MikroTik BaseBox 2 (1000 mWatts)
MikroTik mANTBox 2 12s (can't find output power info)
MikroTik mANTBox 52 15s (can't find output power info)
NetMetal ac2 (can't find output power info)
https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wireless-systems
MikroTik BaseBox 2 ................max 30 dBm
MikroTik mANTBox 2 12s........max 30 dBm
MikroTik mANTBox 52 15s .....max 30 dBm
NetMetal ac2 ..........................max 30 dBm

NETMETAL 5SHP TRIPLE.....max 33 dBm . :lol:

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:47 pm

500 clients at 2mbps is not happening on 2.4 GHz. You'll be lucky to get 10-20 clients per channel given the interference. Probe requests alone will probably kill half the frequency.

Ratatouille
just joined

Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:37 pm

I need an advice for which wireless devices to use for Public hotspot wifi for phones, that as much coverage as possible, approximately 500 clients will be connected, and each client will use 2Mbit/s, I'm planning to use mainly 2.4Ghz devices

Just off the top of my head, a couple of pointers you’d have to consider to save yourself from anguish or frustration down the line, regardless of the vendor (Mikrotik or other vendor ) you select for the WiFi service you intend to provide.

What are you trying to achieve / do – provide commercial public WiFi hotspot service (outdoor, I suppose) for your community or provide WiFi hotspot service for a one-off event (outdoor/indoor)?

What’s the area (measurement of the area) you intend to cover and its characteristics—outdoor/open air or an indoor event centre?

Based on the requirements you establish, you’d have to undertake a WiFi design to determine how many APs and types (and vendor you select) you require to cover the area you intend to serve.

Since I see you mentioned or focused on ‘transmit power’ it seems you intend to ‘blast’ the area you intend to cover with as much power as possible to reach the target clients. Anyway, sorry to disappoint you, but in that case the low-power WiFi client devices (mostly handheld smartphones and tablets) will ‘hear’ the central AP that you intend to mount far away alright, but the AP won’t hear the lower-power signals transmitted from the client devices. Moreover, you’d just end up ‘polluting’ the RF environment where you are.

I’d suggest you also design your network topology and test in a lab, then pilot first before rushing off to implement. Your network design should also include how to backhaul the APs to where you receive your upstream internet feed? Also some of the design considerations should be what IPs you’d assign (IPv6?) or you’d NAT the client IPs you assign? Also how you’d control/regulate use of the WiFi – signing up of accounts and bandwidth use

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:07 pm

A quick note, 2.4GHz will be very difficult/not possible in scenario like this. 5GHz is a way to go.