Community discussions

MikroTik App

kb4fxc
just joined
Topic Author

CSS326-24G-2S+RM Concerns and problems

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new CSS326-24G-2S+RM to evaluate. For the first step, I updated the firmware to v2.10. While I'm not here to critique the Web GUI, I will assert that it looks more like "proof of concept" code than a commercial production release.....

I was able to setup a test config with multiple VLANs, including VLAN trunks and untagged ports and tested the SFP+ interfaces with 10GigE DAC cables. Note that currently I'm only using 802.1q VLANs. RSTP, LACP, IGMP, and EVERYTHING else is set disabled.

This all is stable and works fine, as long as the network is lightly loaded. Once I heavily load the network (particularly with heavy duplex traffic), I start having odd traffic-flow pauses, with hosts becoming completely unreachable. I've tried every combination I can think of in the config setup. Nothing resolves this. This problem isn't related to using the SFP+ ports. It happens just the same using only the 1GigE ports.

As a final test, I setup only two 1Gige ports, isolated from all other ports (none of which were connected). The first port accepts only tagged VLAN traffic, the second port untagged on the same VLAN. The tagged port is plugged into a backbone switch (tagged uplink). The untagged port is plugged into a Raspberry Pi4 (MTU 1500), which was handy. I NFS mount a network share on the RPi4 and left it all morning with a script copying a couple small files back and forth. No problems at all....THEN, I start a linux kernel compile (make -j 4). Within 1 minute, the NFS share is completely unresponsive (host won't even respond to pings), as seen from the RPi4. While this is all happening, I'm connected to the RPi4 via an ssh session (which remains responsive, no problems) from another system connected via the same backbone switch. SSH continues to work fine.....

As the next step, I simply unplug the 2 network cables from the CSS326 and plug them into a preconfigured DGS-1100-08 switch (it was available for testing). NFS starts working perfectly, including "torture" testing. Swap the 2 ports back to the CSS326, it again works fine until I heavily load the network and the problem is back. Swap back to to the 1100-08, working perfectly again.....Note that I'm not rebooting ANY hardware---just moving network cables.

Again, note that I've tried flow control off and on (CSS326, backbone router, RPi4). This same behavior is seen between PC hosts (with intel NICs). It's not the RPi4 causing this!

Anyone have any ideas??? I'm starting to pull my hair!

TIA

Kevo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CSS326-24G-2S+RM Concerns and problems

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:06 am

Others have mentioned issues with IGMP. I haven't used that feature myself and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.

I'd be curious to see if you could reproduce the issue without IGMP.

kb4fxc
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:17 am

Hi, I'm not using IGMP. Only VLANs. Everything else is disabled.

So, is this switch working fine for everyone else?? If so, I must have a dud!

Kevo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:07 am

Hi, I'm not using IGMP. Only VLANs. Everything else is disabled.

So, is this switch working fine for everyone else?? If so, I must have a dud!
Oops. Misread it before. I've not had any issues on the newer firmware with the ones we have. We just use them as basic switches and most of our traffic goes one direction, so I can't say our usage would mirror what you describe as triggering the issue. So I'm not sure I can really comment whether you have a dud or whether we just haven't seen the problem because our traffic loading is different.

jim4911
just joined

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:39 am

I have a CSS326-24G-2S+RM switch that failed on me - it was hosting multiple servers on spf+ Im wondering if its a dud or if maybe I need to update the firmware. I have two, but cant recall at this time which one is the old or new one. My question is, where might I be able to update the firmware and/or how can I tell if its a hardware issue?Might it have to do with the version Im running on router OS by chance?

Thanks!

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:38 pm

If the computer you are using has internet access, just go to the Upgrade tab and down in the lower right corner is the "Download & Upgrade" button. That's the easiest way. 2.13 is the current version for the CSS326-24G-2S+RM (I have two of them at home).
Regards your last question, it would be which version of SwitchOS you are running - not which version of RouterOS. However, I doubt it is the version unless it's an old version. There was a problem that would happen once in a while in some situations (very rare so it was hard to identify and fix) that would result in the switch being able to pass small packets (pings for example), but would not pass most "real" traffic. I was one of the people that experienced that. That has been fixed in the last version or two...