Community discussions

MikroTik App

eldoncito2019
Topic Author

script that tells how fast the internet is at X moment

Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:26 pm

Greetings to all,
Can you help me create a script that tells how fast the internet is at X moment?

EL DONCITO.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: script that tells how fast the internet is at X moment

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:12 am

But how do certain things come to your mind?
And where do you store it, in the NAND/Flash memory of the RouterBOARD? If you do that, after a few weeks you throw the RouterBOARD away...

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:57 am

this is something that would probably be better suited for a container app, which should hopefully be available again soon.. then you can run a speedtest-cli or something in there on a cron job and process the json results however you want..

eldoncito2019
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:24 am

But how do certain things come to your mind?
And where do you store it, in the NAND/Flash memory of the RouterBOARD? If you do that, after a few weeks you throw the RouterBOARD away...

Who said that in a few weeks he would throw it away, please help me rextended.

EL DONCITO.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:00 am

How much your using a point of time is easier. But running /tool/speed-test, indirectly, is possible with the Dude server. If you create a probe that runs the SNMP GET for a ROS script file, set "polling" intervals etc to adjusted data storage (which end up in sqlite since that's what the Dude uses). At the end, you'd should be able see a graph of speed for time. This isn't for the faint-of-heart, but possible. Not just one-or-two steps however, likely a dozen or more.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:09 am

@Amm0,
it is possible to do it, but the problem here is that YOU have to do it all to him...

Sorry @eldoncito, but if you doesn't have the knowledge to put it all up on your own, ask help to @Amm0 or other users,
who are always ready to advise that you can do something else, but afterwards they do not explain it and they do not help you to do it.
I can't be your personal assistant (not even the corrector of scripts made by others).

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:24 pm

I think I was more pointing that tracking the current usage (e.g. traffic going in/out of WAN, LTE, etc.) is easy with Dude. But yeah some regular loop that runs speed-test and records the results, that is more involved was more my point. I wasn't offering to write a script, if this was a wAP with 16MB, yeah recording data is a big problem.

I think my meta-point is perhaps the Dude be better to monitor the OP's device, than trying to write scripts if you don't know how to write scripts. Tracking the usage likely be useful and easy, the "how fast the internet" requires some scheduled bandwidth or speed-test which is harder with pure RouterOS or even with the Dude.