Community discussions

MikroTik App

piku
Topic Author

sfp status blinking - why?

Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:51 pm

The sfp's status page keeps flashing. Replacing the sfp didn't help. The peer does not blink.
The test found that the network packet loss on the sfp interface.
Hope to get your ideas. Thanks.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYyntehVTVU

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: sfp status blinking - why?

Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:13 pm

Did you test the SFP on another device ?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:12 pm

The optical frequencies are mismatched. Both are single-mode long-distance transmitters, but the one with blinking status has a 1330nm laser while the one that is not has a 1270nm laser. Both devices' specs say they're able to operate on the other frequency, but I have to wonder if matching the SFPs would solve the problem.

Speaking of single-mode long-distance, are both conditions true? Do you have SMF, and is the run long enough to justify the powerful lasers in these modules? Too-powerful transmitters can cause problems on short links.

The router logs should be helpful on this, showing link up/down type messages in time with the WinBox flashing. What's it saying?

piku
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:04 am

Did you test the SFP on another device ?
I have swapped the sfp on these two devices and the flashing is still on the CCR1009.
thanks for your reply.
The optical frequencies are mismatched. Both are single-mode long-distance transmitters, but the one with blinking status has a 1330nm laser while the one that is not has a 1270nm laser. Both devices' specs say they're able to operate on the other frequency, but I have to wonder if matching the SFPs would solve the problem.

Speaking of single-mode long-distance, are both conditions true? Do you have SMF, and is the run long enough to justify the powerful lasers in these modules? Too-powerful transmitters can cause problems on short links.

The router logs should be helpful on this, showing link up/down type messages in time with the WinBox flashing. What's it saying?
thanks for your reply. no log at all (link always up).
this is a pair of single fiber product, one tx1330 rx1270, the other tx1270 rx1330.
I remember it was not flahing a few months ago and worked perfect. Downgrading didn't fix the problem :-(
add -2dBm optical attenuator (reduce rx from -2 to -4) also nothing changed.