Community discussions

MikroTik App

banzar
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN Assistance

Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:08 am

I have read many threads including the one that everyone says one should read and I am still lost with regards to Vlans on Mikrotik. I understand Vlans on Cisco and Ubiquity but cannot grasp the concept on Mikrotik.

This is what I am trying to do. Pfsense to Ubiquity PTMP Antenna, from there It goes to another Ubiquity PTP Antenna. From the Antenna I connect via a wire to Mikrotik HAP AC2.

I want all the routing, NAT and DHCP on the PFSENSE. Vlans are defined on PFsense. I want to use the HAP AC2 as an access point. I was able to configure the VLANS on the Wireless Lan interfaces on Mikrotik easy enough. However for the life of me I am not able to set the vlan for the interfaces ETH1 to ETH5. While I would love to separate Management interface from the rest of the traffic, at this point beggars cannot be too choosy. How can I set up a VLAN on the Interfaces themselves?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN Assistance

Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:16 pm

This tutorial is pretty good at explaining how VLANs should be configured on Mikrotik. If I understand your use case correctly, then you want to use Mikrotik device as a switch, which is more or less described in post #2 in the linked tutorial.

If you've read the tutorial, then you can as some more concrete question ... or post your (non-working) config so we can comment on it.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN Assistance

Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:50 pm

HAP AC2 has an Atheros8327 switch chip that does support VLAN Tables in hardware but only by configuring the Switch chip directly from the Switch menu.
It does not support Bridge VLAN filtering in hardware.
So its up to you to decide if you need it or not and what the performance impact might be in your case, since the VLANs will be handled in Software...

Example of how we would configure vlans in hardware on a Atheros 8327 https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... switchchip