Community discussions

MikroTik App

Doloana
just joined
Topic Author

ZeroTier and IPv6 not working together????

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:09 pm

Hello everyone

I'm facing an strange issue with zerotier ans IPv6 which I don't know how to solve.

I have to start saying that I'm not a sysadmin, neither a network guru. Just a geek who loves networking and has been using mikrotik devices for several years now. But I never studied networking. Just read a lot in internet.

Since I find out Zerotier in November 2020, I had a ZT private network to be able to connect with my home LAN from the outside and bypass my CGNAT. That initial setup was made with a Rpi3 which routed the ZT traffic to my LAN. That worked flawlessly always.

At that time my router was an HEX PoE to manage my LAN.

Around the end of 2021, I requested to my ISP to configure a public IPv6 address for me to give it a try and see how ipv6 works.
As here in Spain where I live, IPv6 deployment is very poor and, neither my cell phone provider neither my work iSP had IPv6 deployed, making unable to bypass my CGNAT with IPv6. But I noticed a great bandwidth improvement at home.

This setup worked really well.

A couple of months ago, seeing that Mikrotik added ZT to their ARM devices, I get a RB3011 to experiment with.

And here started the issue.

ZT works really well and I can connect with a decent speed to my LAN from the outside. My phone works, and my work computer works. BUT..... When I enable IPv6, ZT hangs and I loose outside connectivity.

I just can connect again after disabling my IPv6 and resetting my ZT connections.

Separately both, IPv6 and Zerotier works great, but is impossible to make them work together.

I have to say that in myzerotiercentral IPv6 is not configured at all

My setup is as follows:

# jun/10/2022 08:58:55 by RouterOS 7.3
# software id = VKR0-A4F3
#
# model = RouterBOARD 3011UiAS
# serial number = XXXXXXXXXXXX
/zerotier
set zt1 comment="ZeroTier Central controller - https://my.zerotier.com/" \
identity="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" name=zt1 port=9993
/zerotier interface
add allow-default=no allow-global=no allow-managed=no disabled=no instance=\
zt1 name=zerotier1 network=network_zt_id

[admin@R01_HOME] > zerotier interface print
Flags: R - RUNNING
Columns: NAME, MAC-ADDRESS, NETWORK, NETWORK-NAME, STATUS
# NAME MAC-ADDRESS NETWORK NETWORK-NAME STATUS
0 R zerotier1 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX my_network OK

/ipv6 dhcp-server
add address-pool=pool1 interface=bridge name=server1
/ipv6 pool
add name=pool1 prefix=XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXX::/64 prefix-length=66 # Public IPv6 address pool
/ipv6 address
add address=fd01:0:0:xxxx::1/126 advertise=no interface=ether1 #local ipv6 address
add address=XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXX::1 interface=bridge # Public IPv6 address
/ipv6 route
add disabled=no dst-address=::/0 gateway=xxxx:0:0:xxxx::2 #gateway (from isp) local ipv6 address
/ipv6 settings
set max-neighbor-entries=8192

I will really appreciate if anyone can point-me in the right direction to make both work together.

In case that some more information is needed, please let me know

Doloana
just joined
Topic Author

Re: ZeroTier and IPv6 not working together????

Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:51 pm

Anybody who can suggest a hint to solve this?

I'm really stuck on this topic and any help will be really appreciated