Community discussions

MikroTik App

happypup6969
just joined
Topic Author

Nest Thermostat

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I have two Nest thermostats that connect wirelessly to the Nest server. They ping the router on occasion, and I've noticed that the ping times average around 300ms, which seems extreme to me, given one of them is within 20 feet of the router (Rb439G on 6.4). They are constantly losing the connection and then wear out their battery trying to reconnect. Once the battery gets so low, it stops trying and recharges the battery. This happens constantly. Anyone have any experience with Nest Thermostats that can tell me how to adjust for this?
Thanks!

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Nest Thermostat

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:38 pm

I have two Nest thermostats that connect wirelessly to the Nest server. They ping the router on occasion, and I've noticed that the ping times average around 300ms, which seems extreme to me, given one of them is within 20 feet of the router (Rb439G on 6.4). They are constantly losing the connection and then wear out their battery trying to reconnect. Once the battery gets so low, it stops trying and recharges the battery. This happens constantly. Anyone have any experience with Nest Thermostats that can tell me how to adjust for this?
Thanks!
That's not really a question for the Mikrotik forum. Have you tried contacting the manufacture of your thermostats for support?

happypup6969
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi. I'm not sure that's necessarily true. They're just connecting wirelessly like any other device, no reason they should be having problems staying connected. I plan to contact the vendor, but my educated guess is that they're going to have me look closely at the router, and I was just hoping that someone else may have experienced similar problems and could help me on the router side. Thanks.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi. I'm not sure that's necessarily true. They're just connecting wirelessly like any other device, no reason they should be having problems staying connected. I plan to contact the vendor, but my educated guess is that they're going to have me look closely at the router, and I was just hoping that someone else may have experienced similar problems and could help me on the router side. Thanks.
A quick google search reveals that several people have trouble getting these nest devices to stay connected to various brands of routers, not just mikrotik.

ohara

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:32 pm

happypup6969,

if this device has problems to stay connected I suggest to force disconnect it from the AP every 1 or 2 hours by kicking it from the wireless registration tab or the access list. The device should reconnect after 1 second, hoping that this will have a positive impact on how it works.

You can also experiment around with virtual aps and different bands to keep it connected. I don't have such device, therefore this is general feedback.

happypup6969
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks Ohara, I appreciate the help. I'll play around with that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:18 pm

It is possible they want to use some sort of power saving mode, which MikroTik is not supporting ?

happypup6969
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes Normis. They do go to sleep. The Nest folks say that as long as the router supports 802.11 then it should be fine, which I'm pretty sure the MikroTik does. Is there a setting I'm not aware of that has some sort of disconnect timer after a certain period of inactivity? Something that I can adjust?
Thanks!

bedpan
just joined

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Anyone get anywhere with this?

My Nest work fine with previous Asus Routers and Linksys routers (running DD-WRT). Since switching out to an rb2011uas-2hnd it no longer stays connected. In the reading that I have done it appears to be related to power management of some sort. The nest drops into long periods of time with connecting then gets disconnected and does not reconnect for quite sometime.

Thoughts?

happypup6969
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:27 am

I'm sorry for not posting earlier, but I worked with a very knowledgeable Nest tech and was able to resolve the problem. I'm not sure whether its the fault of the router or the Nest, but when it goes to sleep it has trouble reconnecting when it wakes up. This causes the battery to wear down, which in turn causes it to go into recharge mode.
The fix is to hardwire the Nest and the furnace unit to always be in charge mode. The way to do this is to attach the blue ground wire at both the Nest and the furnace unit. Since I've done that I've had no more problems.

nakayama
just joined

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:10 am

SOLVED: TL;DR: Change the device's DHCP entry lease-time to 23:59:59.
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 20.13.47.png
I know the original post was almost 10 years ago, however, I've purchased two Nest Thermostats in 2020 and they were having issues going offline randomly and the batteries were always in good level.

I contacted Google Nest's support and they replaced both of the thermostats but I got the same issues so I thought it had something to do with my AC, but then I moved to a new house and I had the same issue!

So today I discovered that the device actually never goes offline, as it always replies to ARP pings. And it caught my attention that most of the time the device's DHCP entry status shows as "waiting" instead of "bound". For some reason Nest Thermostats don't respect the 10 minutes DHCP lease time, so the IP gets de-assigned and it loses connection. So changing the DHCP lease time from 10 minutes to 23 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds solves the issue.

Kindly,
Nakayama
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nakayama on Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.