mannins79
just joined
Topic Author

Idea for a new product (Modular router)

Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi there,
wouldn't be nice to have a new RouterOS product with the following specs:
- Fanless compact design (passive cooling) like the CCR1009-7g-1c-pc
- 8 PoE out ports (802.11af/at). No PoE-IN port necessary. External 48POW power supply
- Obviously console port, USB and if there is space left ... LCD display (not really necessary though)
AND.....
a modular slot (like the Juniper SRX series) with the following optional cards:
Option 1: one or two SFP ports... 10G perhaps
Option 2: LoraWAN module
Option 3: adsl/vdsl modem !

In particular an onboard adsl/vdsl modem card would be very disruptive in the market.
I know Juniper/Cisco have already such option...BUT a Mikrotik fanless router would be a market leader!
It would be perfect for (relatively) remote locations where there is no fibre but just plain broadband. I know RouterOS doesn't have the drivers for a modem but I feel this would be a worthwhile investment from Mikrotik.
Plus, with the flexibility of RouterOS, I imagine we could use the adsl/vdsl ports to do a point to point link between 2 remote Mikrotiks where only a phone cable is available....

Also, it would be nice to "package" this product in two version: indoor (rack or wall-mountable) and outdoor (same format as the fantastic Netpower 16P)
Mikrotik could make extra money by selling the cards separately as well.

I look forward to hearing your feedback !

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Idea for a new product (Modular router)

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 am

In particular an onboard adsl/vdsl modem card would be very disruptive in the market.

Plus, with the flexibility of RouterOS, I imagine we could use the adsl/vdsl ports to do a point to point link between 2 remote Mikrotiks where only a phone cable is available....

Mikrotik could make extra money by selling the cards separately as well.
There are SFP ADSL/VDSL modems on the market already, they are not perfect, but good if they work for you (no bonding and the DSL parameters are fixed)

VDSL modems used for p2p links are very different from VDSL modems used for connecting to ISPs. But both already exist as SFP modules.. So use them with the SFP port in your router..

Otherwise, Mikrotik has already said they will not be making DSL modems, I don't blame them, it is a dying market...
Yes, but this is happens rarely in the real world, and the product already exists.

A modular slot? Proprietary? No thank you.

"Mikrotik could make extra money by selling the cards separately as well. "

Assuming people would buy them.. Everything Mikrotik has/does is based on established standards (mPCIe, M.2, SFP, SFP+), I don't forsee them coming up with their own 'port'...