Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pvester
just joined
Topic Author

New home setup (router, poe, cameras)

Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:55 am

Hi everyone! First post here. Im looking to get my newly built home started up with some gear. I am looking to run 2 accesspoints and 3 cameras by PoE. I have fiber into the house and a switch (inteno xg6846) provided by the ISP( I read somewhere you can skip it by plugging in the fiber into the mikrotik router SFP port? )

I need some tips on what to run in my house. I’d rather keep it mid range regarding to price. If for example I want to run 3 reolink cameras (15.4w each on PoE) and two AP ( perhaps unifi 6 lite ). I would go over the wattage budget the hex poe offers. How do I solve this. Is there any other product that does routing and enough power for my devices over PoE? Or do I need one router and an extra switch with PoE capabilities?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New home setup (router, poe, cameras)

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:57 am

Hex has 5 ports and one is needed for Internet so there are only 4 left to manage 5 PoE devices ... no way. What about other devices?
You should buy PoE switch to connect and power PoE devices and there will be 3 spare ports on HeX.

Pvester
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:12 am

Hex has 5 ports and one is needed for Internet so there are only 4 left to manage 5 PoE devices ... no way. What about other devices?
You should buy PoE switch to connect and power PoE devices and there will be 3 spare ports on HeX.
Thanks for input. Yeah I know it has 4 left and it seems many routers has like 4..
I came across the TP-Link TL-SG1008MP. It has 8 poe+ ports out. So maybe one of those plus the hex? And then 3 cameras and 2 acesspoints. It would also probably fit in the cabinet. I removed the included connectors to the left.

Hominidae

Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:08 pm

Yes, using a PoE+ Switch plus "Router on a Stick" is an option...just mind you, that the Hex/Hex-S IMHO will not be good for Internet/Broadband WAN-lines above 400-500Mbps and the Hex-PoE will even be a bit worse in that respect, I think.
For WAN speeds up to 1 Gbps, rather go for the RB450Gx4 (case sold separately) or for even higher WAN speeds use RB4011 or RB5009 or a CCR model.

Pvester
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:09 pm

Yes, using a PoE+ Switch plus "Router on a Stick" is an option...just mind you, that the Hex/Hex-S IMHO will not be good for Internet/Broadband WAN-lines above 400-500Mbps and the Hex-PoE will even be a bit worse in that respect, I think.
For WAN speeds up to 1 Gbps, rather go for the RB450Gx4 (case sold separately) or for even higher WAN speeds use RB4011 or RB5009 or a CCR model.
Thanks for your valuable input. I was thinking of getting 250/250mbit connection. But who knows, maybe I upgrade it! The Rb450 wasnt that much more than the hex

Hominidae

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:10 pm

...if you get the separate PoE switch, just be aware that the RB450Gx4 also supports PoE-In with 802.3at/af standard...so only the RB + case and no PSU needed ;-)