Community discussions

MikroTik App

Romell
Topic Author

Can I upgrade to Routeros v7 ?

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:30 pm

Hello,

I'm going to move from Cisco to Mikrotik , on Cisco we are using keep alive 5 4 by default on Cisco for GRE tunnel configuration .

On Mikrotik we will try to make it 2 2 or 3 2 so every seconds for two times to check if the GRE tunnel is down or up .

The question is, is this only available on RouterOS7 ? or on any other versions ?

and if it's only on RouterOS7 can I upgrade from v6 to V7 ? because I saw some routers supports only version 7 !!

Best Regards

loloski

Re: Can I upgrade to Routeros v7 ?

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:48 pm

test carefully your use case before jumping on the gun, if the device is ROS v7 only therefore you can't downgrade to v6 MT has great potential in general but also have a shortcomings, our millage may vary that's why my advice personally is test it carefully before you decide to migrate

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can I upgrade to Routeros v7 ?

Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:28 pm

and if it's only on RouterOS7 can I upgrade from v6 to V7 ? because I saw some routers supports only version 7 !!

As @loloski explained, if a device is v7-only, it can't be downgraded to v6.
However, it is possible to upgrade almost all current devices from v6 to v7 (apart from some entry level devices which can upgrade to v7 but then don't have enough resources to allow it run in any decent fashion). These devices can then also be downgraded to v6 again (it is not possible to downgrade to version lower than factory default).