Community discussions

MikroTik App

kraal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is it possible to upload/download files using the serial console ?

Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:52 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to dowload/upload backup files using the serial console port (RJ45 port) ?
And if it is possible, how can this be achieved ?

Thank you in advance!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is it possible to upload/download files using the serial console ?

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:51 pm

Not, the serial is just for terminal debug, but you can launch /export command and save the results.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:47 am

Hello,

Is it possible to dowload/upload backup files using the serial console port (RJ45 port) ?
And if it is possible, how can this be achieved ?

Thank you in advance!
Only the RouterBoot firmware... Been there, tried that, I was trying reload the entire OS. RouterOS has to come from the Ethernet port..

Otherwise it is similar to using the keyboard and monitor to transfer a file on Windows.. You can't. You use your keyboard and monitor to tell Windows to transfer a file.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:34 pm

Yeah, ROS console is really missing simple zmodem/xmodem download/upload functionality, for getting backups, certificates and other files to/from device with just serial port.
Currently this is not possible.
Only way to transfer files over serial is to set up PPP connection over it instead of console. Then you can run IP and winbox or SSH/SFTP over it.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:22 pm

nowadays is not only about enabling a feature, is about not creating a security risk with it

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:31 pm

nowadays is not only about enabling a feature, is about not creating a security risk with it
If someone has access to the console port of your device, you have already lost all security..

I have a dead RouterBoard because I can only transfer RouterBoot using XModem, it won't accept RouterOS using XModem.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:32 pm

Only way to transfer files over serial is to set up PPP connection over it instead of console. Then you can run IP and winbox or SSH/SFTP over it.
Interesting.. I didn't know this was possible.. May need to try it, just to know that it works and I can say I did it... ;)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:39 pm

I have a dead RouterBoard because I can only transfer RouterBoot using XModem, it won't accept RouterOS using XModem.
If you can upload RouterBoot via serial, you should be able to install RouterOS using Netinstall. But if the single Netinstall-capable Ethernet port is dead, it's the end of all hopes for the Routerboard.

PPP over serial works but you need a running RouterOS to configure it, and the serial port can either work as a console or for PPP, so if Ethernets and wireless are all broken, you'd need an USB hub with two serial adaptors to have a serial console access together with PPP (or a multi-channel USB to serial adaptor, it also works fine).

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:45 pm

If you can upload RouterBoot via serial, you should be able to install RouterOS using Netinstall. But if the single Netinstall-capable Ethernet port is dead, it's the end of all hopes for the Routerboard.
Yes... In troubleshooting the dead Ethernet port, I tried to reinstall RouterOS.. That is when I discovered that while RouterBoot accepts XModem transfers, it is ONLY for RouterBoot, it will not work for RouterOS too.. Wasted a lot of hours transferring RouterOS using XModem having it fail at the end.