Community discussions

MikroTik App

FrostyApe
just joined
Topic Author

Large home network with CRS305

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:42 pm

I was wondering you guys could help me understand the potentials and how I can design and improve my network using my new Mikrotik Cloud Router Switch CRS305!
Before anything I do understand that this is a switch and not really suitable for heavy NAT and DHCP work, but for now until I get my new RB5009 (really hard to find one now) I would like to set up everything in my network and learn more about setting up a Mikrotik router/switch.

So to start with, my plan is to have a 10G network for my PC and NAS , anything else can be on a normal 1G network (mostly wireless) as you see in the diagram on the left side I have put NAS and my PC they both will be connected to my CRS305 via SFP+ ports. (still waiting for my adapters and and fibre optics so it's not set up yet)

Current network:
  • ONT connected to CRS305 via Ethernet port
  • CRS305 is configured with NAT and DHCP
  • SFP3 connected to an unmanaged switch to distribute internet through out the network
  • Switch is also giving connection to a RaspberryPi running Home Assistant
  • Another ethernet connection to a Deco M4 Mesh system, all Decos are set to AP Mode, they rely on the CRS305 for the IP and NAT
  • Main Deco is linked to other Decos in the house either wired or wirelessly
  • About 20 different devices mostly IoT are connected to different APs in the house
  • "Mesh AP - Workshop" has a physical ethernet link to my GPU miner
Network diagram example.jpeg
All seem to be working fine.
However I know once I get my SFP+ adapter and try to run the 10G network then the switch might not be able to handle the load, so I was reading about offloading and other stuff, was wondering if anyone could help me understand this better and guide me to set up the Router/Switch in a way it would work efficiently.

Also, I was wondering if I can put my Router, RaspberryPi and NAS on a single VLAN, all my IoT devices in another VLAN and also the miner which is connected to one of the Deco APs in another VLAN ?
Do I need a managed Switch if I want to make sure any device connected to that gets added to a specific VLAN? Or can I specify based on MAC what VLAN a device belongs to?

Apologies I am very much new to the world of Mikrotik and advance networking!

I'm open to any suggestion which can make my network more stable, secure and easy to manage!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.