Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikrotikAlfie
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik Audience as basic AP

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:14 pm

Hi,

I recently got a Mikrotik Audience. I want it just to function as a Wifi access point but i cannot stop it from doing NAT. Is there any way to do this? I am new to Mikrotik products and would appreciate some help.

Thank you

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikrotik Audience as basic AP

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:09 pm

If you erase the default config that it comes with, you can create a basic AP and bridge config for the audience like any other MikroTik device and NAT won't be enabled.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik Audience as basic AP

Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:55 pm

To extend what @IPANetEngineer said (because you said you're new to MT world and I don't want you to get impression we're a bunch of unhelpful nerds here) ... the steps are basically like this:
  1. download winbox tool from download.mikrotik.com ... even though it's name implies windows, the executable runs inside wine environment on macOS or Linux just fine
  2. if you haven't already, upgrade ROS to 7.2.3 and install wifiwave2 package (from extra packages)
  3. reset device with no config at all
  4. use winbox and click device's MAC address to connect ... username will be admin and password will be empty
  5. create a bridge
  6. add both ether ports and all 3 wifi interfaces to bridge
  7. configure device with LAN IP address (bind it to bridge interface) and set your router's IP address as gateway for default route
  8. configure wireless (security profile, SSID, ...). wifiwave2 allows pretty wild security profile setup, but in 7.2.3 it's a bit buggy (apart form basic WPA2 config) ... so stay with authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=ccmp group-encryption=ccmp to make sure most (if not all) clients will be fine.

From what's written on forum (or rather from what's not), it seems 7.4beta might be fine (and fixes a few wifiwave2 bugs), but 7.3 doesn't seem to be stable. 7.2.3 is very stable for me hence that's what I'm suggesting to install.