Community discussions

MikroTik App

kaneki83
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik v7 and WiFi 6

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:50 pm

Hi probably a bit of a wishful thinking post but now that we have a slightly modern kernel in 7 and better drivers would there be any chance that Mikrotik would take a stab at Wifi 6 ? Something like a 5009 with WiFi6 and a POE out port would be mega.

Currently I have a couple of trusty hAP AC's (RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT) at home that are getting to to the end of their usable lifetime.I have fiber drop cables between my home and my home/offices and like the clean look of having the fiber and wireless in one little compact box as well as having one port to power up a wap AC for the general hard to reach place in the office.

Friends are always so surprised how one small little box does everything I need to get connectivity anywhere on my premises.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Mikrotik v7 and WiFi 6

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:13 pm

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WifiWave2

Yes, this is not yet AX, since that requires new devices, but they are coming soon. Then this package will come in handy.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:47 pm

Now it's getting interesting...

Normis,
Will wifiwave2 also be made available for other devices then the ones currently being supported ?
Or are you referring to brand new HW ?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm

Oh my...might want to switch from Grandstream to MikroTik if 802.11ax is indeed coming.
Love the "formal" announcement, @Normis!''

If you need any testing (here in the Netherlands), I'll be your guy!

:D
First the problem, then the solution

syadnom
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:32 am

Very exciting...

my wishlist for AX gear:

wISP:
exact duplicates of mantbox hardware in 2, 5, and combo with WiFi6. 5Ghz for sure, 6Ghz when the time is right.
exact duplicate of the Omnitik 5AC PoE in 'ax

Omnitik PRO which is something along the lines of an 8 chain 4x 90 sectors in one box or a 360 8 element antenna.

NetMetal 4 chain and 8 chain models for BYO Antenna builds.

Software:
WDS and/or 802.11s or WiFi Easymesh or ..... HUGE want, HUGE deal (for me at least) - 802.11s+batman-adv.

Home/Soho:
hAP ax hardware with solid antennas to go up against the likes of Eero 6 etc. Mostly interested from a wISP perspective, getting great WiFi into homes.
Audience ax (ie, high end) similar to the existing audience model but obviously 'ax.

~~

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us 2AX out the gate :)

syadnom
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:33 am

Also, some 'baby' ax device. dual chain, dual band. A high value option for lower end customers. 'ax isn't just about speed, with 'ax devices is just 'better'. more consistent connectivity and less issues even in basic hardware. hAP ax lite maybe....

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 pm

Oh my...might want to switch from Grandstream to MikroTik if 802.11ax is indeed coming.
Is anything wrong with your GWN76xx access point?

syadnom
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:17 pm

I find the grandstream APs to be 'ok' at best. Performance is ok, still sometimes need to reboot them to get clients connecting though. Software is 'ok'. Just a whole lot of 'ok'.

Now, I don't expect Mikrotik's to be 'unifi' slick, but I'm very happy for the trade off between that slick setup and UI for the flexibility and functionality routers offers.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:58 pm

I have been using MikroTik for quiet some time, and really like all options.
Really enjoying the GWN's, but if possible would prefer to use a single platform (CAPsMAN, might even use Dude again)
First the problem, then the solution

Ratatouille
just joined

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:18 am

wISP:
exact duplicate of the Omnitik 5AC PoE in 'ax
Omnitik PRO which is something along the lines of an 8 chain 4x 90 sectors in one box or a 360 8 element antenna.

+1 Omnitik 5AX or 6AX with solid 360 antenna (phased array based smart antena??? -- I must be dreaming 😥) with advanced outdoor WDS+mesh capabilities for micro-pop mesh deployment (similar to what nycmesh is using Omnitik 5AC for now)
Last edited by Ratatouille on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:05 am

Isn't wifi7 expected next year?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

syadnom
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 am

IDK what you mean by 'expected'. I imagine some sort of paper release next year then two or three years to see the first products show up.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:30 am

IDK what you mean by 'expected'. I imagine some sort of paper release next year then two or three years to see the first products show up.
I mean Ruckus told us specifically that WiFI 7 HARDWARE WILL BE RELEASED IN 2023.

They were explaining why they will only have 1 WiFi6E product offering.

Those are also the guys that gave us WiFi AC WAVE2 back in 2016. Pretty close to when it was first announced.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

Kindis

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:47 pm

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WifiWave2

Yes, this is not yet AX, since that requires new devices, but they are coming soon. Then this package will come in handy.
Can you please define soon? Next week, Next Month, Next year or we simply don't know :) Not in any hurry what so ever but nice to know how much money I should prepare in the budget to replace all AP's
Also for me CapsMan is critical in wave2 to be able to go there.

IPANetEngineer
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:29 pm

Also, some 'baby' ax device. dual chain, dual band. A high value option for lower end customers. 'ax isn't just about speed, with 'ax devices is just 'better'. more consistent connectivity and less issues even in basic hardware. hAP ax lite maybe....

I agree with this, everyone wants devices that take full advantage of speed and I'm sure MIkroTik will make those, but as you mentioned, not every deployment is about speed and being able to buy AX devices at scale is valuable too. Plenty of applications in WISP, IoT, Energy, Industrial, Etc.
Global - MikroTik Support & Consulting - English | Español | Serbian | Danish +1 855-645-7684
https://iparchitechs.com/ecosystem/mikr ... consulting mikrotiksupport@iparchitechs.com

millenium7

Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:02 am

My main hope for any Wifi6 devices is they completely gut and remove the frankly terrible wifi implementation, everything about it, and start from scratch and build it properly

I really don't care as much about performance, if the usability is awful. Spectrum analyzer is an absolute must and it's a total joke if not included
CAPsMAN needs to be built with the assumption of multi frequency radio's. Greatly simplify it and build the most basic of smarts, allow 2.4/5/6ghz channels in the same entry please. Trying to implement 2.4ghz and 5ghz needs 'double' the config at a bare minimum (really, really sucks when you have 120+ unique SSID's, now you need 240+ provisioning entries, that becomes 360+ if 6ghz gets released)
Need option to simply specify radio output power as a single integer dB value
Allow ticking multiple frequencies or specifying in a list, to improve scanning/reconnection times and ignore the rest

Mikrotik wireless is a total joke at the moment, everything from the configuration to tools to performance, whole stack is rubbish. Even bargain basement consumer routers do a better job

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:42 pm

Now it's getting interesting...

Normis,
Will wifiwave2 also be made available for other devices then the ones currently being supported ?
Or are you referring to brand new HW ?
wifiwave2................. what you want to work with roman aquaducts........... please join the modern era!!
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:43 pm

Love the "formal" announcement, @Normis!''

If you need any testing (here in the Netherlands), I'll be your guy!

:D
Erlinden in your haste to link Normis's shoes, you reached for the ceiling and not the stars LOL.
WIFI6E and WIFI7 is what you should be asking for OR else you just might end up with wifi wave3 - a new and improved version of wifiwave2 for wifi5 products, that may or may not work depending upon hardware.

On a serious note, I heard Normis was punished, they shaved his beard (scrub whatever you call it) off, for making promises he couldnt keep. ;-)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:24 pm

wifiwave2................. what you want to work with roman aquaducts........... please join the modern era!!
Errmm... lots are still standing after thousands of years, some even still functional.
Try that with nowadays concrete bridges !
50 years max !
8)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:44 pm

802.11ax is being supported even by iot devices like some new ESP32 C6 modules, so is becoming mandatory in nowaday market

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:02 am

Errmm... lots are still standing after thousands of years, some even still functional.
Try that with nowadays concrete bridges !
50 years max !
8)
Touche, you will get your traffic but it will be a trickle ;-)

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:33 pm

Well open the wifiwave2 package with e.g. 7zip.org tool and you will See firmware and modules for different 802.11ax chipsets.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 pm

Well open the wifiwave2 package with e.g. 7zip.org tool and you will See firmware and modules for different 802.11ax chipsets.
What for?

Can you install it on something, and use it?
Mark Twain

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:48 pm

What for?

Can you install it on something, and use it?
I often read fiction for entertainment purposes............ ;-)