Community discussions

MikroTik App

JimmyEatWord
just joined
Topic Author

Is it possible to start a Home server with an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN ?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:59 pm

i have an FTTH connection i was thinking maybe i could either sell my VPN through this router or sell ping reduction VPNs again through this router , i'm a complete beginner and i would greatly appreciate if you could help me with this endeavor so i can earn some money at home .

my second question is this router always gives a "moderate" NAT type in Games , as opposed to two other routers i have at home . how could this problem be addressed without port forwarding , is there a Upnp or another simpler way i could activate to get an Open nat ??

thanks in advance .

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is it possible to start a Home server with an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN ?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:56 pm

What is the bandwidth of your FTTH connection? By today's measures, a 2011 is quite a weak device, so anything above 50 Mbit/s may be too much for it to handle, except simple setups that allow use of fasttracking; with any kind of VPN the limit may be evn lower.

Regarding NAT type - yes, you can use UPNP if you don't mind the consequences for security.

Out of curiosity, please introduce me to the idea of a ping reduction VPN, I cannot imagine how insertion of extra network hops could reduce ping (latency), unless the whole country has a high latency connection abroad and you can somehow use a low latency one.

JimmyEatWord
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:47 pm

What is the bandwidth of your FTTH connection? By today's measures, a 2011 is quite a weak device, so anything above 50 Mbit/s may be too much for it to handle, except simple setups that allow use of fasttracking; with any kind of VPN the limit may be evn lower.

Regarding NAT type - yes, you can use UPNP if you don't mind the consequences for security.

Out of curiosity, please introduce me to the idea of a ping reduction VPN, I cannot imagine how insertion of extra network hops could reduce ping (latency), unless the whole country has a high latency connection abroad and you can somehow use a low latency one.
my bandwidth is around 200/200

i tried fiddling with the upnp option but to no avail . can you introduce me to some place where i can learn how to configure this router and use its advanced features ?

yes in our country many users deal with high latency i was wondering if i can use this mikrotik router to sell ping reduction vpn's ...

i'm simply eager to learn how to do more with this router . advanced features.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:12 pm

You wont be able to do much from Iran and your router is too old to be useful in any kind of $$ enterprise besides not knowing much about networking or MT routers.
It would be criminal to take money from unsuspecting clients at this point and its probably an illegal use of your internet connection.

un9edsda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:18 am

can you introduce me to some place where i can learn how to configure this router and use its advanced features ?
See post #3 in Bad performance (slow) of RB2011UAS-2HnD and post #5 in the same topic for start.

JimmyEatWord
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:20 am

You wont be able to do much from Iran and your router is too old to be useful in any kind of $$ enterprise besides not knowing much about networking or MT routers.
It would be criminal to take money from unsuspecting clients at this point and its probably an illegal use of your internet connection.
can you please help me , learn the advanced features of this router
the most i could do was to "disable ISP dns " (dynamic servers) and use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 ; which don't help anymore
help please

JimmyEatWord
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:21 am

can you introduce me to some place where i can learn how to configure this router and use its advanced features ?
See post #3 in Bad performance (slow) of RB2011UAS-2HnD and post #5 in the same topic for start.
i don't have the budget for a better MT router yet ..
i'd be glad if you could help me.
if i buy a Zyxel SPF+ module can i use it instead of my current FTTH modem ?
thanks in advance for your help

un9edsda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:35 pm

i don't have the budget for a better MT router yet ..

i'd be glad if you could help me.
Post #3 and #5 in that topic is definitely not about buying a different router, rather about the optimal configuration of the RB2011UAS-2HnD.

if i buy a Zyxel SPF+ module can i use it instead of my current FTTH modem ?
thanks in advance for your help
Most likely not for various reasons among which one is that the routers in the RB2011 family do not support SFP+ modules just SFP ones. An other one can be that a GPON module may be needed. Anyway you should have a discussion about your idea (of not using the ISP's CPE aka. the FTTH modem) with your ISP.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:43 pm

sell my VPN through this router
or sell ping reduction VPNs again through this router
But how do you come up with certain things?
If they already have a "slow" connection of their own, adding an extra layer (a VPN) and going through your connection as well, the ping at least doubles...

i'm a complete beginner
We had noticed this, better study something, before making useless requests,
but not from the mikrotik point of view... from the general network point of view....

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:46 pm

@anav
[…] from Iran […]
[…] its probably an illegal use of your internet connection.
If it is true, he risks death if he tries to circumvent the censorships for himself and for others...