Community discussions

MikroTik App

trueselfdao
just joined
Topic Author

Number of virtual interfaces on CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:42 am

I'm wondering whether there is a hardware constraint that limits the non-passthrough interfaces to just two (eth3 and eth4 on the picture provided). I want to experiment with using the bridge within the card as a virtual switch instead of using a linux bridge so I want to configure get more of these virtual interfaces.

Thanks

technick

Re: Number of virtual interfaces on CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:11 am

Out of the box my CCR 2004 PCIe had 4 Virtual interfaces all together in one bridge.

technick

Re: Number of virtual interfaces on CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:12 pm

I want to update my answer.

The default configuration changes in the PCIe router when there are supported SPF+ modules present.
  • Without supported modules the PCIe passthrough devices are on a bridge together, and are disabled.
  • With Supported modules the PCIe passthrough defaults to having SFP28-1 and SFP28-2 passed through in their own PCIe virtual devices and the other 2 virtual devices as management port passthrough just as described on the product page in the diagram.
In my case I disabled the virtual PCIe device passthrough and the ports are all dedicated to the router. My host system still sees the PCIe devices however they show up as not functional and un-configurable.

It seems that the virtual PCIe interfaces are hard coded, although my testing has been limited.