Community discussions

MikroTik App

ManuEvans
Topic Author

Captive portal (hotspot) config help?

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm

Hi, I'm trying to configure the captive portal how I need, but I either can't work it out, or it doesn't seem to be supported.
I'm trying to achieve a configuration where each client has a weekly time (and maybe data) limit.
I don't want to manage user accounts; I want each MAC address to be accounted separately.
So a user should be identified by MAC address, their session terminated after a specified time limit, and reset the counters weeky.

There do seem to be session time limits, but the user can log back in immediately after the session time expires and I can't see any way to set a delay or session reset timeout.
What is that even for? What's the point of a session timeout if they can log back in immediately?

Possible? I can't work it out.
Thanks!
Last edited by ManuEvans on Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManuEvans
Topic Author

Re: Captive portal (hotspot) config help?

Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:25 am

Anyone? I have a very low-power site where 'tik equipment is in place; I'd rather not install separate equipment to manage a captive portal when the mikrotik solution is so close. It's just bizarrely missing a couple of key details, or I just don't know how to configure this. The docs are very thin on this matter...

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:23 pm

Devices can use randomise mac addresses while using a hotspot, you might need to use a login username and password

ManuEvans
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:29 am

That's fine. It's not intended to be fool-proof, it's intended to be simple and minimum friction.
If someone can work out how to exploit the limiters, that's fine, and power to them! I'm working with a serious low-iq community here.

ManuEvans
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:12 am

Bump!

I still really need help with this; does anybody know anything much about Mikrotik's captive portal? I gets very little attention...

The thing I just can't get my head around is how it's useful for sessions to terminate after some limit conditions (like timeout), but allow the user to re-establish and begin a new session IMMEDIATELY.
How can this be used to limit users access? I feel like I've missed something really obvious.
A terminated session should be terminated... and the counters that caused the session to terminate should only reset after some reset condition; ie, given time period, or at a particular moment (midnight daily/weekly)...?