MikroTik App

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

I need the same wlan in virtual AP after reboot

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:23 pm

I have several AP managed by capsman.
Every AP has bridge wlan1,2 (physical radios) in bridge and virutal vlan managed by capsman (slave config) has typically wlan3 in bridge1.
The problem is radio restart or disconnecting from capsman because local AP change wlan3 e.g for wlan7 and wlan7(or wlan5...etc) is not in bridge1 and I can see unknown interface in bridge1 (wlan3 is not exist anymore in MT).
I have to add wlan7 to bridge1 again and everything is OK until next restart/disconnecting.
I need to talk MT to make static wlan for virtual AP after every restarting or disconnecting.

Subquestion....when I change country (in capsman) to develop AP`s power is only 3dB (instead 18dB in country set). How cen I get the maximum power from MT with capsman?

Ca6ko

Re: I need the same wlan in virtual AP after reboot

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:55 am

1. I've never encountered a virtual interface being added dynamically and changing its name, maybe it's because you use Vlan. And for some reason the old interface is not completely removed. You can file a ticket with tech support about this.
I never use Vlans for access points controlled via Capsman (probably because I don't configure networks with more than 25 CAPs).
2. If data path is controlled by Capsman then it does not care what name the interface has on the Cap, it operates by the MAC address of the interface (or IP)
3. The power is regulated in Capsman in 4-5 places and each place has a different priority. Apparently you have somewhere set 3dB, or the second wlan3 can not set the power or frequency independently, it is virtual and uses the settings that are set at the parent physical interface wlan1,2

PS My personal opinion is some kind of perversion to leave the physical interfaces wlan1,2 on their own and give the virtual wlan3 ones to the capsman. Such a mess is very inconvenient to configure

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:00 pm

One note for you, mate I don`t use any vlans a this is not capsman`s problem.
This is ROS problem because virtual AP got wlan number from local AP, not from capsman.
The problem is wlan number is not the same every time and I have unknow interface in the bridge then a dhcp server can deliver IP address to the client then.
I need static wlan number for virtual AP in local radios.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:53 pm

I have several AP managed by capsman.
Every AP has bridge wlan1,2 (physical radios) in bridge and virutal vlan managed by capsman (slave config) has typically wlan3 in bridge1.
The problem is radio restart or disconnecting from capsman because local AP change wlan3 e.g for wlan7 and wlan7(or wlan5...etc) is not in bridge1 and I can see unknown interface in bridge1 (wlan3 is not exist anymore in MT).
I have to add wlan7 to bridge1 again and everything is OK until next restart/disconnecting.

So which interface on AP is used to connect to CAPsMAN, wired or wireless? If wired, is there any reason not to provision all wireless interfaces using CAPsMAN? Or, if you're provisioning bulk of wireless interfaces manually, why bother to configure one (virtual) using CAPsMAN?

Other than that, properly configured CAPsMAN and cAP devices automatically add wireless interface(s) to appropriate bridge, no manual intervention should be needed.
I suggest you to post configuration of CAPsMAN device (at least /capsman section) and of one of cAPs (full config) so we can see what exactly is configured and whether thre's room for improvement. Without seeing config it's just a guess game ...

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:55 pm

And still... it is capsman.

If you do not restart capsman controller, every reboot of cap will result in subsequent numbering of caps managed interfaces on controller.
That's how it works since otherwise it would potentially run into conflicts when new interfaces are added to the capsman controller.

I could be wrong but that's how I' ve seen it works.

Ca6ko

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:55 am

.... in bridge and virutal vlan managed by capsman...
...I don`t use any vlans...
@fleg
I was using your words.

I suspect that you have misled us and we are not talking about wlan interfaces, but about cap interfaces.
If you set action "create dinamic enabled" in your Capsman Provisioning which means to create a new cap interface dynamically every time you connect. If you set action "create enabled" which means that you will have to create the interface once at the first connection.. Or just manually create the cap interface.
So that you don't have to guess, show the capsman and cap settings, as well as a screenshot of the problem.
If you do not restart capsman controller, every reboot of cap will result in subsequent numbering of caps managed interfaces on controller.
@holvoetn
This only happens in one case if you set "create dinamic enabled"

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:31 am

@Ca6ko
Agree and since it happens and since config is not shown, I guess that's what's happening.
But we need to see config to confirm.
Or not :lol:

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:39 pm

.... in bridge and virutal vlan managed by capsman...
...I don`t use any vlans...
@fleg
I was using your words.

I suspect that you have misled us and we are not talking about wlan interfaces, but about cap interfaces.
If you set action "create dinamic enabled" in your Capsman Provisioning which means to create a new cap interface dynamically every time you connect. If you set action "create enabled" which means that you will have to create the interface once at the first connection.. Or just manually create the cap interface.
So that you don't have to guess, show the capsman and cap settings, as well as a screenshot of the problem.
@holvoetn
This only happens in one case if you set "create dinamic enabled"

Mea culpa...of course vlan should be wlan.
I` be able to paste my config here today I hope.

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:45 pm

Here`s my config for better understanding.
2 bridges
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
0 R ;;; defconf
name="bridge" mtu=auto actual-mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 arp=enabled
arp-timeout=auto mac-address=2C:C8:1B:1A:98:C8 protocol-mode=rstp
fast-forward=yes igmp-snooping=no auto-mac=no admin-mac=2C:C8:1B:1A:98:C8
ageing-time=5m priority=0x8000 max-message-age=20s forward-delay=15s
transmit-hold-count=6 vlan-filtering=no dhcp-snooping=no

1 R name="bridge1" mtu=auto actual-mtu=1500 l2mtu=1598 arp=enabled
arp-timeout=auto mac-address=2C:C8:1B:1A:98:C7 protocol-mode=rstp
fast-forward=yes igmp-snooping=no auto-mac=yes ageing-time=5m
priority=0x8000 max-message-age=20s forward-delay=15s
transmit-hold-count=6 vlan-filtering=no dhcp-snooping=no
Ports in the bridges
lags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic, H - hw-offload
# INTERFACE BRIDGE HW PVID PR PATH-COST INTERNA... HORIZON
0 H ;;; defconf
ether2 bridge1 yes 1 0x 10 10 none
1 ;;; defconf
wlan1 bridge 1 0x 10 10 none
2 I ;;; defconf
wlan2 bridge 1 0x 10 10 none
3 H ether1 bridge1 yes 1 0x 10 10 none
4 I *9 bridge1 1 0x 10 10 none

0 R ;;; managed by CAPsMAN
;;; channel: 2412/20-Ce/gn(18dBm), SSID: Pedikura, local forwarding
name="wlan1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=2C:C8:1B:1A:98:C9
arp=enabled interface-type=IPQ4019 mode=ap-bridge ssid="MikroTik-1A98C9"
frequency=auto band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX
secondary-channel="" scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11
vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none
wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes
default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0
hide-ssid=no security-profile=default compression=no

1 X name="wlan2" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=2C:C8:1B:1A:98:CA arp=enabled
interface-type=IPQ4019 mode=ap-bridge ssid="ServisKader" frequency=auto
band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX secondary-channel=""
scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11 vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1
wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no
bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes
default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no
security-profile=profile1 compression=no

2 R ;;; managed by CAPsMAN
;;; SSID: Geneva2, local forwarding
name="wlan3" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=2E:C8:1B:1A:98:C9
arp=enabled interface-type=virtual master-interface=wlan1
Wlan3 is virtual AP managed by capsman (slave config)
There is issue...wlan3 is member of bridge1 but if capsman is restarting or AP is restarting wlan3 is not anymore wlan3 but wlan5 or wlan7 and wlan5,7 are not members of bridge1 and clients from virtual wlan haven`t IP address then.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 am

sorry but what is the actual issue here? is it just assigning the new virtual interface to a bridge port or are you using this cap interface?
there is 2 things that you are able to do here:

1. On the cap device you can go to wireless/interface/cap then there is an option to set it to static virtual, this will prevent the interface from being removed after the device looses connection to the caps manager. This will help if you are setting things like interface lists or static dhcp leases as the interface will not be lost and the mac address will stay the same.

2. If you just care about the virtual wlan interface being added to the bridge on connection you can either go to the cap device and set the bridge interface in wireless/interfaces/cap, doing so will add the virtual wlan to that bridge each time. this method is only if you are doing local forwarding from the caps (this is set up on the capsman under datapath the default is set to off)
If you are using capsman forwarding you will need to go to the capsmanager, go to capsman/datapath and set the bridge interface or set this in capsman/configurations/datapath, this will make the cap interface that gets added once a cap connects be added to the specified bridge interface. Note with this that you will need to think about how your network, with capsman forwarding enabled the caps will just send their data to the capsman for processing so make sure not to create any loops with this method :)