MikroTik App

rkrisi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Route LTE traffic in VLAN

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Dear Community!

I have a fallback LTE device connected to one of my Mikrotik switch (it is connected to the switch because of signal strength and bandwidth and not directly to the router - also my router RB4011 does not have a USB).

So the scheme looks like this:

LTE Modem -> hex S switch -> RB4011 router.

I would like to create a seperate VLAN with this LTE interface in it, so I can configure my main router that this VLAN should be a fallback route to the internet.

So a route is needed to 0.0.0.0/0 if it is received on this VLAN interface.

How can this be achievable?

Thanks!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Route LTE traffic in VLAN

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:42 am

There are two options:
  • the "passthrough" mode allows you to make the hEX S act as a DHCP server handing out the IP address provided by the LTE modem on an interface you specify in the /interface lte apn profile, and the 4011 then acts as a DHCP client. But this mode is not supported by all LTE modems, and I cannot make it actually work on my LtAP that uses the same CPU architecture like hEX S although the modem does support it.
  • the hEX S can act as a normal router with NAT - actually, hEX S is intended to be a router, not just a switch, and although its is much weaker than a 4011, it should still have enough throughput to handle the LTE bandwidth, especially since you won't use it for any complex firewalling.