Community discussions

MikroTik App

bcbigb
just joined
Topic Author

US product availability crunch increasing in scope...

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:19 pm

<I don't know if this should go in here or General, but General says "Router OS" so I've always assumed it was software-related and this seems more appropriate (honestly I wish there were just a "General" for meta-topics or topics not covered by other forums, but either way).>

I'm trying to get many different items for my clients all over the US and I'm seeing various items disappear rapidly with no signs of restocking (i.e. few or none on order on many vendor sites, like Baltic, Streakwave, Microcom). For instance, I saw there were dozens of WAP ACs a month ago and thought I'd wait to order until I was going to a specific customer's site to order them in case I had to return one (thankfully have never had to return a single MT product), but two weeks later I was lucky to get a single one on eBay and even then I barely got it before they were sold out. This seems to be happening with more and more items, so I've gone from buying basics and waiting for new products to be shipped (like a 5009 for myself) to barely getting the basics for myself or clients and scraping together what I can, going without, or buying other junk to hold them over.

I realize that many supply chains have been seriously interrupted and that's causing delayed cascades going far beyond the initial problems getting bleeding-edge CPUs/GPUs, so it seems that it's now hitting the long tail of ICs made on older nodes (a real issue as explained in this video, for anyone curious), likely including many or all of the processors Mikrotik and competitors use.

So, what I'm looking to find out is if Mikrotik is just stuck waiting it out with everyone else until component shortages subside or if they are able to kick production and/or shipping up to meet these shortages? Or, alternately, if somehow I've missed it and the stocked products are now with some other sellers or markets?

Thanks!

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: US product availability crunch increasing in scope...

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Seems like these are the hardest to find

1. anything with POE
2. Certain ARM platforms
3. Legacy CCR 1K series

mtz156
just joined

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 am

I had good luck with Pace International recently. Turned out they had stock of what I wanted, while Baltic pushed out availability from April, to May, then September. Newer items like the 5009 as mentioned are still backordered, but they do seem to have stock of some things.

bcbigb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:20 pm

I had good luck with Pace International recently. Turned out they had stock of what I wanted, while Baltic pushed out availability from April, to May, then September. Newer items like the 5009 as mentioned are still backordered, but they do seem to have stock of some things.
Thanks a bunch, I'll take a look.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:23 pm

Mikrotik is not stuck waiting, we are constantly working with different suppliers, to re-plan everything that is delayed, and that something is always being manufactured and shipped. We have an excellent logistics and purchases team, they are meeting with chip manufacturers, and everything is moving :)

TerjeThornqvist
just joined

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 pm

From my viewpoint, I ordered a RB5009 to replace out of support Asus stuff in March with a preliminary delivery date in early April, only to be pushed forward to end of June and then to unknown, so there is definitely lack of supply for at least some products.

bcbigb
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:52 pm

I appreciate @normis responding. I am not trying to give Mikrotik a bad name. I'm just having a difficult time getting clients provisioned with the gear we specced out and am wasting a lot of money on alternate gear I don't plan on keeping (but don't have time to resell later) and am hoping to be out of this mess sooner than later as costs for projects are skyrocketing since the integration is part of the reason I can keep costs low. But, still, such is the nature of the whole world right now, and it's not unique to Mikrotik.

Back on this: As far as I can tell, most major sites that are out of items are all saying mid-to-late September for gear coming in, maybe slightly sooner for some projects, which is 2-3 months away, a very long time in business terms, so I guess we'll have to do what we have to do.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:12 pm

global supply crisis is not a novelty and i think MikroTik is doing it very well

for the current circumstances i think we are very badly used to buy things at the last minute

is a matter of planning purchase ahead, at least until crisis passes maybe 2024

other vendors have 6 - 8 months of deliver time on some references so this is not a MikroTik only situation

mjezierski

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:54 pm

Seems like these are the hardest to find

1. anything with POE
3. Legacy CCR 1K series
#1 isn't just limited to MikroTik. Big C among others are much further out on product delivery. Our corporate IT was quoted almost a year from Big C on some Catalyst equipment with PoE.

#3 yes - and we issue the teams CCR1009s for network access. Thankfully these are rock solid devices both physically and software. I've needed to replace HAPs in the past 12 months but no CCRs.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:06 pm

Indeed. We tried to order a couple of Catalyst 9200's and got dates in 2023.