MikroTik App

davorin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPoA with Vigor 166

Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 am

Good morning

As my Cable ISP still can't provide a working connection since 7 days now I got a new DSL connection from another provider.

So I bought the Vigor 166 and use it now for testing in router mode with PPPoA and fixed IP, works fine...

But when I put the DSL modem in bridge mode I can't use my RB behind it to negotiate with the ISP.
Read in old threads here that PPPoA isn't possible with RouterOS....only a link where I need to use PPPoE with the DSL modem which in turn does PPPoA,
but that link is dead by now.

What confuses me is that when the Vigor 166 is in Router mode, it offers in the PPPoA/PPPoE settings:
If this box is checked while using the PPPoA protocol, the router will behave like a modem which only serves the PPPoE client on the LAN.

So I would need to remove the PPPoE login information and fixed IP from the Vigor settings?

How do other people run successfully a DSL G.fast connection with RouterOS and PPPoA?

thanks in advance
richard

davorin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: PPPoA with Vigor 166

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 am

Okay….got the first step….

Had to add a profile with fixed IP under PPP and apply this profile to the PPPoE connection…

Now the connection is working half way….

Some PCs can access few websites…but most not….though everything is pingable….same with mail…

And I had to use my mobile to access this forum…

Something missing in NAT settings?
MTU shows as 1480 which seems right….

davorin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Seems to be better now after rebooting the RB750 and disable two IPsec connections...

I can also ping google v6 address from the RB:
[admin@gw-iway] > /ping 2a00:1450:400a:803::2003
  SEQ HOST                                     SIZE TTL TIME  STATUS                                                                                           
    0 2a00:1450:400a:803::2003                   56 121 7ms   echo reply                                                                                       
    1 2a00:1450:400a:803::2003                   56 121 8ms   echo reply                                                                                       
    2 2a00:1450:400a:803::2003                   56 121 8ms   echo reply                                                                                       
But when I assign the /48 I got from ISP as dhcp6 server I don't see any LAN client picking it up...

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:03 pm

Draytek modems support DSL connections, not cable which is typically DOCSIS.
PPPoA is only applicable to ADSL variants as VDSL uses PTM framing instead of ATM cells.
You should not have to specify the WAN address, it will be assigned during link negotiation.
There are many posts in the forum regarding IPv6 setup, if your ISP is doing things correctly you should only have to enable router advertisments, use DHCPv6 to request prefix only and assign an address from the pool to your LAN(s).
As ever, post your config with any sensitive information redacted within a code tag to make it more readable.

davorin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm

Well I have two connections..one half working cable and now one working DSL (o;

Nope...the ISP doesn't assign a fixed IP....also had to set it up when I had the Vigor in router mode...
Think this is the closest doc to my ISP setup (all static and no dhcp6 announcement)

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Setting_up_DHCPv6

And with this configuration all PCs get an v6 address assigned...
Only thing though that somehow v6 forwarding doesn't work though v6 firewall is set up...

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:23 pm

If you have more than one WAN you need mangle rules for IPv4 if doing anything other than active-backup failover. It is currently not possible have more than one IPv6 WAN connection (see the numerous form posts).

If the ISP doesn't assign a fixed IP it would be unusual to be able to force one by setting it locally in the PPP profile. Some ISPs route a block of static IPs via a dynamic WAN address but that should be handled by adding the addresses to the Mikrotik, not forcing the WAN address.

That link contains a couple of errors. The all-zeros subnet address has special meaning, and managed-address-configuration=yes doesn't make sense unless you have a third-party DHCPv6 server on your LAN - the Mikrotik implementation will only hand out prefixes, not individual addresses. In many cases you do not need a DHCPv6 server, SLAAC is sufficient.

The default firewall works, it should just be a case of adding the IPv6 WAN and LAN setup. If not it is a configuration error.

davorin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Waiting for a reply from my ISP....just to be sure his v6 prefix is routed to the right dsl customer (o;

I have actually two routerboards...one serving my DSL connection and the other one connected to a Hitron cable modem where the LAN port is constantly flapping every 10 - 20 seconds for over a week now....not sure if that ISP ever get it resolved. They claim that the flapping is an issue with IPv6 PD on their side (o;

Well at least we can watch now IPTV (o;