Community discussions

MikroTik App

srikanth418
Topic Author

Understanding of idle-timeout and keepalive-timeout

Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Hello Everyone,

What I understood about idle-timeout and keep-alive feature on Hotspot is,
There are two types of Idle-timeouts and two types of Keep-Alive-timeouts. One for server and other for user. these settings on server will effect the unauthorised clients where these settings on user profile effect Authorised Users, which should be our primary concern.According to Wiki:

Server

idle-timeout (time / none; default: 5m) : period of inactivity for unauthorized clients. When there is no traffic from this client (literally client computer should be switched off), once the timeout is reached, user is dropped from the HotSpot host list, its used address becomes available.
keeaplive-timeout : keepalive-timeout value of the unauthorized client.

User Profile

idle-timeout (time | none; Default: none): Maximal period of inactivity for authorized HotSpot clients. Timer is counting, when there is no traffic coming from that client and going through the router, for example computer is switched off. User is logged out, dropped of the host list, the address used by the user is freed, when timeout is reached.

keepalive-timeout (time | none; Default: ) : Keepalive timeout for authorized HotSpot clients. Used to detect, that the computer of the client is alive and reachable. User is logged out, when timeout value is reached.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Srikanth.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Understanding of idle-timeout and keepalive-timeout

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:54 pm

keepalive-timeout (time | none; Default: ) : Keepalive timeout for authorized HotSpot clients. Used to detect, that the computer of the client is alive and reachable. User is logged out, when timeout value is reached.
the discussion about ping in viewtopic.php?p=488584 should be added