Community discussions

MikroTik App

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

DNS request through wireguard

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:36 am

hi,
is it possible to route Mikrotik DNS request through Wireguard tunnel (interface)? my ISP block dns port of common DNS servers like 8.8.8.8. i want to Mikrotik resolved dns by sending request to dns servers through Wireguard interface.
Thanks

satman1w
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: DNS request through wireguard

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:00 pm

your isp bloccks access to dns service on 8.8.8.8 ???

ok, then they probably have their own dns server for local users... don't they?

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:05 pm

yes,they have dns server but they for block access to some websites change A record of those website to fake addresses.
for example nslookup of facebook.com returns 10.10.34.20 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:52 pm

Hi Farhad,

Yes, it is possible.
I could give you two options.
  • DOH
Walkthrough
  • DNS through the WG tunnel
Walkthrough
2022-06-14_17-20-20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by own3r1138 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:53 pm

@farhadb
Change country or change emperor...

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:07 pm

half of the internet is restricted from the boycott and the other half is content filtered.

change? lol

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:13 pm

Probably the user need to understand why using "Dedicated Fiber Communications" is filtered........

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:27 pm

Probably the user needs to understand why using "Dedicated Fiber Communications" is filtered........
Why Galileo had been condemned by the Catholic Church. the same reason applies here.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:32 pm

"Dedicated Fiber Communications" is the owner of the infrastructure that the user use indirectly, is not the owner... :roll:

Probably is connected on some public hotspot and try to circumvent the payment or the blocks...

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:58 pm

rextended

We call this "Telecommunication Infrastructure Company" this is where all the ISPs get their BW and it ran under governmental authorities. The 10.10.34.20 was a firewall that will respond to the Client if such content was received.
The 8.8.8.8 is not blocked in our country but it is a Reverse Route injection with OSPF.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:34 pm

Last edited by own3r1138 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:34 pm

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:07 pm

thanks for your replies.
i live in hell country and that country is IRAN. most of web sites block by government of Iran and other websites blocked Iran traffic. :(

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:21 pm

i can't use DOH cause Google and Cloudflare block Iran IPs. i've established a wireguard tunnel between mikrotik and my vps that hosted outside of Iran and routed traffic of all IPs except Iran IPs to it for my lan ip. when i in mikrotik ping blocked website by Iran, mikrotik resolved block ip.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:32 pm

@farhadb
If you didn't notice we share the same region, I know what is going on exactly.
Some Google services blocked queries from Iran. This is true. On the other hand, it doesn't mean you can't use any other public DOH providers or perhaps run your own.
You could use CF as I do regardless of my DNS over the WG tunnel. or even OpenDNS by Cisco.

Note - If you do either of these methods some local DNS queries won't resolve, mostly governmental domains. You should identify these websites and exclude them via your VPN route policies.

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 pm

thanks a lot.
i will do what you said and let you know the results.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:06 am

hi,
is it possible to route Mikrotik DNS request through Wireguard tunnel (interface)? my ISP block dns port of common DNS servers like 8.8.8.8. i want to Mikrotik resolved dns by sending request to dns servers through Wireguard interface.
Thanks
If your IP is assigned with DHCP, change the default route to a lower priority, or turn it off completely in IP-DHCP Client, if turning off, pay attention to the current gateway assigned..

Go into IP-Route and make sure the 0.0.0.0/0 route is through the Wireguard interface.. If you removed the defaut route in the DHCP client, add a route to your VPS IP using the current gateway, then there will only be the 0.0.0.0/0 route through your VPS.

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:50 pm

hi,
Thanks
If your IP is assigned with DHCP, change the default route to a lower priority, or turn it off completely in IP-DHCP Client, if turning off, pay attention to the current gateway assigned..

Go into IP-Route and make sure the 0.0.0.0/0 route is through the Wireguard interface.. If you removed the defaut route in the DHCP client, add a route to your VPS IP using the current gateway, then there will only be the 0.0.0.0/0 route through your VPS.
i did what you say but mikrotik cannot resolved blocked site by ISP for example facebook.com. other site like google.com resolved by mikrotik.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:32 pm

i did what you say but mikrotik cannot resolved blocked site by ISP for example facebook.com. other site like google.com resolved by mikrotik.
If so, something wasn't done correctly. What @kevinds has suggested normally sends all traffic via the Wireguard interface, except the transport packets of Wireguard themselves. So post the export of the configuration, removing anything that might identify you (usernames, serial number of the device, public IP addresses if any). Use hide-sensitive as a parameter of the /export command if you run RouterOS 6 to suppress export of passwords and secrets.

Also, does it indeed not resolve the domain name to an IP address or is it unable to reach the IP it resolves to?

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:58 pm

thank you Sindy. my config is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:39 pm

I am actually surprised it works at all with this configuration, as the configuration contains no default route the Mikrotik itself could use without additional settings - the only default route is in routing table WG and nothing tells Mikrotik or clients to use that table.

So if you don't mind that everything goes via the WG tunnel, remove the routing-table=WG from the sole default route you've got there, and you should be good.

I can see you haven't taken care about traffic forwarded from client LAN to WAN yet, so you'll probably come back once you resolve this DNS issue.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:50 am

I am actually surprised it works at all with this configuration, as the configuration contains no default route the Mikrotik itself could use without additional settings - the only default route is in routing table WG and nothing tells Mikrotik or clients to use that table.
Me too.

No NAT rules either.

Static IP from a /27 does make the configuration much easier to do though.. Don't need to track and worry about the DHCP route changing.

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:40 am

for test i removed all mangle and nat rules, i want to resolve dns by 8.8.8.8 or other global dns server. when i removed routing table of WG and ping facebook.com mikrotik again resolved 10.10.34.35 (this ip means this site is blocked by ISP in Iran). i removed default route and add static route to my VPS through ISP gateway.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:45 am

But that means that you haven't posted the complete export, as there were no mangle or nat rules in what you've posted.
Consequently, my advice was not correct because it was based on misleading input.
At least I now understand why it worked at least partially.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:35 pm

for test i removed all mangle and nat rules
Or maybe I have just misunderstood you? In any case, you need mangle rules assigning a routing-mark, and/or routing rules, to use any other routing table than the one called main (the default one, which you don't need to select explicitly). And you need NAT rules if you want traffic from your LAN clients heading towards the outside of your network to ever get responded, no matter how many routing tables you use.

So a default route in table main via the WG interface, and a /32 route towards the WG server via ISP's gateway, without any mangle and/or NAT rules, will only allow you to check that the Mikrotik itself can resolve all fqdns using a DNS server reachable via the WG tunnel. To do something more complex, you need one or more additional routing tables, the mangle rules, and NAT rules to sort things out.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:39 pm

You can use DoH directly in IP>DNS, don't forget to download the certs and inject that into the router for security.

Cert:
https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:56 am

@sindy
i think it's not possible for me to do this configuration because i don't know a lot about Mikrotk.

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:57 am

You can use DoH directly in IP>DNS, don't forget to download the certs and inject that into the router for security.

Cert:
i've tried many DoH but all of them block Iran IPs.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 am

What happens if you do a traceroute with the public DNS server IP? I'm interested in the next hop.

This might be a silly question, but did you change the IP stack on the VPS install to allow packet forwarding?

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:49 am

It's almost a week now trying to help someone bypass his country laws, where are we at?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:58 am

@sindy
i think it's not possible for me to do this configuration because i don't know a lot about Mikrotk.
It is enough if you post the complete export of the current configuration and only obfuscate all information that could identify you. The forum is here not only to provide a targeted advice (for which a complete configuration is mandatory) but also to educate, so you can learn a lot not only about Mikrotik but also about networking in general in the process of solving this issue.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:16 am

Cert:
i've tried many DoH but all of them block Iran IPs.
Are you sure that it isn't your RouterOS not accept the responses from certificate issues?

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:27 pm

i apologize for late response, i was so busy. my complete configuration is attached.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 am

1. there is one clear mistake, under /interface wireguard peers, you've specified allowed-address=0.0.0.0/1, which means only the "lower half of the internet", i.e. the address range from 0.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255. It should be 0.0.0.0/0 instead. This probably explains why some pages did not load - their addresses were in the 128.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 range.
  2. regarding sending router's own DNS requests via the WG tunnel - assuming the VPS_IP specified as endpoint-address on the /interface wireguard peers row is indeed a numerical IP address of your VPS in the other country, i.e. you don't need the DNS to work to determine the address of the VPS and establish the WG tunnel to it, the simplest way is to add the following routes:
    /ip route
    add disabled=no dst-address=1.1.1.1/32 gateway=TUN-WG routing-table=wg-fib
    add disabled=no dst-address=4.2.2.4/32 gateway=TUN-WG routing-table=wg-fib
    add disabled=no dst-address=8.8.8.8/32 gateway=TUN-WG routing-table=wg-fib
  3. to override the global DNS server settings and make the router send DNS queries regarding domestic sites to one of the ISP's DNS servers, use the following:
    /ip dns static
    add type=FWD regexp=".*\\.ir\$" forward-to=ip.of.ISP's.DNS

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:48 am

thanks a lot dear Sindy. i will do what you said and let you know.

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:48 am

@Sindy
hello again,
i configured what you said but still mikrotik can not resolved DNS of blocked web sites (By ISP).

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 pm

What does /ip/dns/cache/print where name~"facebook" show in the TTL column?

Maybe the whole thing is that you have to do /ip/dns/cache/flush before running the ping?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:03 pm

@farhadb
If you didn't notice we share the same region, I know what is going on exactly.
Some Google services blocked queries from Iran. This is true. On the other hand, it doesn't mean you can't use any other public DOH providers or perhaps run your own.
You could use CF as I do regardless of my DNS over the WG tunnel. or even OpenDNS by Cisco.

Note - If you do either of these methods some local DNS queries won't resolve, mostly governmental domains. You should identify these websites and exclude them via your VPN route policies.
@own3r Pleiades is in Iran?, or are you saying living in Iran you feel like an alien, or are you saying you feel emasculated being the only son among seven sisters??

Running wireguard through that should simply work, not sure that the "noise" is about DNS? You either need a virtual server on a server farm somewhere in the 'friendly' world or a friend in Europe who can host your wireguard client etc....... In other words do not understand the issue?

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:03 pm

@anav
I would happily discuss my place of origin with you face to face. But, that is for another time. I don't think my response here would be amusing to other readers.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:34 pm

@anav
I would happily discuss my place of origin with you face to face. But, that is for another time. I don't think my response here would be amusing to other readers.
No worries, if my attempt at humour was off the mark, just keep in mind it was meant as humour. Of course I am interested in where people are from, wouldnt be here sharing ideas otherwise.
By communicating we make the world smaller, safer and one day it will all be Canada ;-)

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 am

Well, I didn't know lamas have a sense of humor.
I think our world is too small for some people, small enough that they wish they were from another world, even an alien one. Perhaps aliens are more welcome.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:11 am

Well you are welcome to visit anytime, I have lots of cold beer ready to serve and I am sure you can teach me lots about MT. I have barely scratched the surface.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:34 am

Why not!
<3

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:15 am

What does /ip/dns/cache/print where name~"facebook" show in the TTL column?

Maybe the whole thing is that you have to do /ip/dns/cache/flush before running the ping?
i flushed DNS before ping facebook.com but result no changed.

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:17 am

I think the solution is immigrate from IRAN. :D :D :D
I really want to that but no country give me a Visa. :lol:

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 am

Sorry, my mistake - the three routes to the DNS servers' addresses in my point 2. above must be without the routing-mark=wg-fib.

No idea what I was thinking about, maybe I have copy-pasted too much when copying the gateway name.

Don't forget to flush the DNS again before testing.

For this kind of discussion, see viewtopic.php?p=902082#p902082 .

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:01 am

Sorry, my mistake - the three routes to the DNS servers' addresses in my point 2. above must be without the routing-mark=wg-fib.

No idea what I was thinking about, maybe I have copy-pasted too much when copying the gateway name.

Don't forget to flush the DNS again before testing.

For this kind of discussion, see viewtopic.php?p=902082#p902082 .
Thanks a lot Sindy.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 pm

Yes, I quite understand the desire to NOT live in a place where a few old men keep power over everyone else (under the guise of religion especially) by force and use the army on its own people.
The next clue for a decent location is a place where women are treated as equally as possible, (we are not yet there anywhere, but some are better than others) ........... are allowed to be educated, and have access to birth control and abortions....... ;-P

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:07 pm

Yes, I quite understand the desire to NOT live in a place where a few old men keep power over everyone else (under the guise of religion especially) by force and use the army on its own people.
The next clue for a decent location is a place where women are treated as equally as possible, (we are not yet there anywhere, but some are better than others) ........... are allowed to be educated, and have access to birth control and abortions....... ;-P
I agree. I hope as soon as possible i can leave this country and feel some freedom.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:12 pm

I agree. I hope I can leave this country as soon as possible and feel some freedom.
There is a proverb in Persian "هر جا بری آسمون همین رنگه" (Wherever you go, the sky is the same color).

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 pm

There is a proverb in Persian "هر جا بری آسمون همین رنگه" (Wherever you go, the sky is the same color).
Publius Ovidius Naso
The concept of the proverb can be traced as far back as the poetry of Publius Ovidius Naso, better known as Ovid (43 BC – 17 AD), who wrote Fertilior seges est alenis semper in agris (the harvest is always more fruitful in another man's fields).

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:02 pm

@mozerd

Did you copy-paste your post? Perhaps a more relevant proverb in English is 'All roads lead to Rome".
2022-07-02_22-27-13.jpg

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:50 pm

@mozerd
Did you copy-paste your post? Perhaps a more relevant proverb in English is 'All roads lead to Rome".
Yes, in fact I did.
BTW, very beautiful women live in the mountains of Iran and love their cooking skills …
https://youtu.be/vMeQ1oSixIU

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 am

On some topics MT is what we have in common, we are entitled to our opinions........ I was supporting the gentlemen that wanted escape from an unworthy regime. I just merely pointed out common traits of such regimes........ not my issue that you are offended. :-)
In any case I can feel the hot fetid breath of rextended not far away..............the scythe will fall!

farhadb
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:53 am

there is no Utopia in the world and some countries is better to live and work. I believe people of country like Iran are also to blame cause they are not honest.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:51 am

@farhadb, does the DNS via WG work now or not? The discussion has somehow diverged quite far from the original topic, and from your "thank you" response above I cannot conclude whether fixing my mistake has finally resolved the issue.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:14 am

It is so sad that after 315,000 years of evolution, ending life is considered a logical answer to a problem such as population.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:45 pm

It is so sad that after 315,000 years of evolution, ending life is considered a logical answer to a problem such as population.
No you have it wrong, what is sad after 315 years of evolution is this.......

a. https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/0 ... nk-vpx.cnn
b. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_India
c. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/india-alle ... i-arrests/
d. https://www.npr.org/2022/04/30/10933392 ... war-crimes

just scratching the surface,,,,,,,,,,, havent got to the middle east yet, and this happens in every major developed country as well.
Life is not equal and who shares the burden,
The results in an advanced nation are staggeringly horrible.....
https://www.liveabout.com/fatherless-ch ... cs-1270392
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/10 ... 389f678198

I dont disagree with your premise, but until 1/2 the population are held responsible for their actions, cry me a river!