Community discussions

MikroTik App

petetheobald
just joined
Topic Author

IP/Prioxy with ipv6 destinations

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi, I want to setup the mikrotik web proxy but I have a number of sites I want to access that are ipv6 only. The proxy does not appear to support this? I can setup firefox with a hostname for the proxy that only resolves to an ipv6 address so I know that it is accessible and that my local machine is using ipv6, but I am only able to connect out to ipv4 addresses. I have an ipv6 subnet on my connection and connecting out is using ipv6 (http://echoip6.com returns my ip6 address) so I know that direct connections are fine over ipv6. Does mikrotik have a limitation in the web proxy? The default source address is '::' so I assumed it would just work.
Any suggestions?
Regards
Pete

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IP/Prioxy with ipv6 destinations

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:16 am

It looks like proxy supports IPv6 connections, both client->proxy and proxy->server. Using numeric address (e.g. http://[2a02:610:7501:1000::201]/) works. But with hostnames, it does not even try to look up AAAA records.

petetheobald
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 am

Do you think mikrotik can fix it? Or is that too much to ask. It's pretty basic behaviour but I'll have to build a separate cache server now...
Pete

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:23 am

I'm sure they can make it work, if they want to. They are clearly not completely against it, as it works at least a little.

But I can imagine that someone might not want to have IPv6 enabled in web proxy for one reason or another. So maybe they just didn't enable it by default, because it's the safest option for most users, and they're waiting for feedback, who knows... Maybe it needs some new config option to make it safe for everyone (e.g. use-protocol=ipv4-only/prefer-ipv4/prefer-ipv6/ipv6-only).

Or maybe the explanation is very simple - you just found a bug. I suggest to ask support.

petetheobald
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:45 am

Ill email support then. Thanks for the help.
Pete

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:08 pm

I know it's an old thread. But I would like to know about the status of using webproxy with IPv6.
Was the missing DNS AAAA resolution a bug? Is it fixed with the latest ROS versions?

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:31 pm

Any news here?
I would like to use a Proxy to translate between IPv6 only www and IPv4-LAN.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:53 am

Nope, still the same in 7.4beta5. It's almost ready, IPv6 connections work, it's just DNS resolution, it asks only for A records, not AAAA. It's most likely the same problem there's with:
> ping ipv6.google.com
invalid value for argument address:
    invalid value of mac-address, mac address required
    invalid value for argument ipv6-address
    failure: dns name exists, but no appropriate record
It's known by MikroTik for years, but somehow they didn't manage to get to it yet.