Community discussions

MikroTik App

bma
just joined
Topic Author

suggestion: user-managed github issues tracker

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 pm

I've seen cases where a user-managed github issues tracker was useful to reduce redundant forum posts, consolidate information about particular issues, and be a good starting place for new forum users with ROS problems. The trackers that work best have a single maintainer tagging and making calls on things that are real issues vs enhancements vs not-a-bug.

There's no guarantee that MT will ever read it and it will be difficult to cross check issues vs changelogs. You'll also have to work with the various personalities that frequent this forum (not trying to single any one individual out).

I don't have the time or patience to maintain it. Maybe someone here who feels strongly enough, though? I certainly would appreciate one.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: suggestion: user-managed github issues tracker

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 pm

I think it would be enough not to open useless topics like this,
not to review every single MikroTik choice,
and not to fill the important topics with bullshit,
and for sure everything would be better,
because in this way you make the MikroTik staff want to read the other topics as well.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:34 pm

Does promotion to moderator require to unconditionally agree with and defend everything that MikroTik does? ;)

If people complain about something, it's usually because there is some problem. Some may choose not the best way how to do it, but it doesn't mean that such problem doesn't exist.

Being able to more easily see what's currently broken would certainly help. Meaning ideally in one place, without having to read through several hundered posts long topics. And sure, you're right, many of those posts are useless, but even if you get rid of them, there would still be many posts in several topics, so that's not the solution.

As for some user-run bug tracker, I can't see that happening. If it's free for all, it will end up as one big mess. And if it's ruled with someone's iron fist, I doubt that anyone would have enough time and enthusiasm for that, it could be quite a lot of work.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:15 pm

Does promotion to moderator require to unconditionally agree with and defend everything that MikroTik does? ;)
Definitely not... :roll: