Community discussions

MikroTik App

TinMan0
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS Export\Import

Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:34 am

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone one this as well as surprised as to just how dificult it is to get the configuration of one RouterOS device to another. This even goes for perfectly identical devices. I did eventually get the hang of wipe adjust repeat and finally a the very end did I notice the rarely mentioned "resume" by line number option. I didn't see anywhere I could make a suggestion, so I thought I'd do my little venting here and offer up the suggestion as well.

Suggestion: Please put an "Edit, Skip, Retry and Cancel" interactive option for the import process of RouterOS. This would make it possible to make those fine adjustments interactively, instead of having to go in circles for even the tiniest changes. The skip option is really the one that's really going to help cuz it'll allow to import all the settings it can and the rest can be done using the gui. So long as whoever is importing is aware of the components that failed to import then it's all golden from there. The edit option is for those pesky typos, retry in there just in case and finally, the current default behavior is to cancel. Although technically not a cancel, more of just a halt because it doesn't under prior changes but with just those few options, it would make the import process so much easier. Especially if you don't actually deal with Mikrotik command line all the time. I only have a few devices and I rarely have to go to command line, but I'm hesitant to buy Mikrotek's latest and greatest cuz migrating to the damn thing is so frustrating!