Community discussions

MikroTik App

PKSpeleo
Topic Author

Best wireless AP for 500-1000 mbit MT connection.

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:33 pm

Hello!
I want to buy MT RB5009* as the main entry point for my home for a 500-1000mbit glass fiber internet.
Can you suggest Wireless AP to reach speeds of 500-1000mbit and make it possible to scale it up with 1-2-3 AP and good roaming?
Wifi 5 and maybe good to have Wifi 6 for future.
Is MT Audience good for it?
Do I need PoE-in and PoE-out to power Wireless AP? Is it possible to power AP by PoE and reach 1000mbit connection?
Thanks a lot!

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best wireless AP for 500-1000 mbit MT connection.

Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:12 pm

You might want to take a good look in any Wifi (related) topic. There are a lot of MikroTik enthousiastics that will advice other brands.

But be aware that your expectations might be too high (for WiFi in general). If you want to reach these speeds (especially on WiFi 5) you must have 3x3 or even 4x4 MiMo clients. Well...good luck on that. WiFi is a shared medium, so circumstances have to be perfect to come close to those speeds.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:20 am

I still try to find a simple and valid reason, not forced, to need a (real) speed of 1Gbps on wi-fi in everyday life or at work...
In our main building we are 11, we rarely exceed 20Mbps between all, only when doing speed-tests or there is an update of the operating system.
At home I have Steam and Uplay, but with 100Mbps I can easily download game updates, often hundreds of gigabytes, in a relatively short time.
So, I'm wondering, why get 1Gbps over wi-fi?
Just to break the boxes with speed-tests to those who provide the internet?
And then find something that, speed-tests aside, really sends you 1Gbps of data...

So, in the end, having 1Gbps on wi-fi is only and exclusively a whim.
Some objections could be made, such as that those who do video editors have to transfer large files.
Ok, I agree, but what do you do, use a laptop???
And does he use it inside an anechoic room so as not to be disturbed by the billions of devices that use the same spectrum, and the nearby ones that produce spurious?

Rox169

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:05 am

I do understand your needs. I have NAS server and I often copy large files from one device to another and both are conected via WiFi. I have very good experience with Asus routers as AP or even as router. You will just set it up and forget about it, those routers/AP just work. Asus keeps update for at least 5 years so it is not like TP Link, I can recomended Asus RT-AX56U, it is bugdet beast. Very powerful procesor, 256MB RAM, 256 MB ROM, WiFI 6 1800 Mb/s - 574 Mb/s in 2,4 GHz a 1201 Mb/s in 5GHz and it has support for roaming 800.11r. It has USB 3.0 so you can use it as NAS server.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:43 am

@Rox169
Does it seem normal to you to recommend other competing brands in the MikroTik forum?

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:57 am

From post #2
But be aware that your expectations might be too high (for WiFi in general). If you want to reach these speeds (especially on WiFi 5) you must have 3x3 or even 4x4 MiMo clients. Well...good luck on that. WiFi is a shared medium, so circumstances have to be perfect to come close to those speeds.
And from post #3
I still try to find a simple and valid reason, not forced, to need a (real) speed of 1Gbps on wi-fi in everyday life or at work...

Both good points. I tend to think of wifi as a convenience solution, not a performance or reliabilitiy solution. The only thing I use wifi for is when I can't use a wired connection.

But as @rextended said, what actual need is there for such high speeds?

in post #5
Does it seem normal to you to recommend other competing brands in the MikroTik forum?

To me it doesn't seem more abnormal than seeing a recommendation for Mobile 1 oil in a Honda forum.

This is one problem with vendor sponsored and supported sites. You always wonder about how biased recommendations are.

What I think @rextended is suggesting is that if you can't recommend a MikroTik solution, then you should just remain silent. That would definitely create biased recommendations (which I am sure MikroTik would like). That's on the same level as doing a bunch of product/drug trials and throwing out all the unfavorable trials.

So if you do want unbiased recommendations, any vendor forum is not the place to look. I am not sure where the best place to look is. A google search for "good access point" will find a lot of "lists", but these are also biased (as most have Amazon affiliate links, and if a device isn't sold on Amazon, it probably won't be included in the list). So my suggestion is to start looking at those lists, and do your own research. And note what criteria were used for choices. For what it's worth, in the 6 or so lists I just looked at, (there was some overlap, but no two lists were the same, so that shows that the criteria being used does make a difference). And I didn't see a single MikroTik product on any of the lists.

Also, you should decide what things are important to you. The only thing you listed was the maximum speed it was capable of, which is arguably not the most important factor.

Some things to consider (I am sure this is incomplete)
  • Range
  • Performance (single client)
  • Performance (multiple clients)
  • Environment
  • Security features
  • wifi standards supported
  • Vendor support
  • Vendor updates
  • Community support
  • Availability
  • Management
  • Reporting/monitoring
  • PoE
  • Van support (multiple SSID support)
  • Client isolation
  • Mesh
  • Roaming
  • Price
  • Aesthetics
  • Installation options (wall, ceiling, desktop)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:19 am

@Rox169
Where do you see competition ?
Mikrotik can't do that right now. So for those specifications, there is no competition as far as MT is concerned. Out of their league.
And should they be busy working on solutions making this possible, they might do better coming forward with the plans.
But they choose not to reveal any of those (multiple occasions where future plans are discussed, each time there are no answers).
So what can a user do then ?

As much as I like Mikrotik's devices and ROS, you have to keep your eyes open. Learn from what others can do and apply it as well, or choose not to.
But someone really needing those features may not be prevented from learning there are other options. Just keeping silent about it, harms more in the long run.
That's my view and everyone is entitled to think differently.

I choose to keep using MT products also for Wifi at home (and with my clients). Within my perimeter and my use cases, those devices are more then sufficient for what is needed.

However, I 200% agree with your statement on "the need for speed" and Wifi.
If you truly need speed (and I mean RELIABLE speed), use a cable (if only not to block the complete spectrum for other users when pumping data over the air ...).

Rox169

Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:49 am

@Rox169
Why not? Everybody knows that WiFI for home users is crap from mikrotik. After many years they are now working on wifivawe2 and no one their home AP will be able to use it because 16MB disk. We need WiFi 6 and 800.11r for roaming.

Best price and performace has Asus RT-AX56U at the moment. If you wish more profesional AP with POE and wall mounted check ARUBA but it is more expensive.

One note Asus RT-AX56U has 1.5GHz quad-core processor, WiFi 6, 800.11r, 512 MB RAM, 256MB flash,1xUSB 3.1, 1x USB 2.0, IT IS JUST BEAST.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:47 am

@Rox169
Why not? Everybody knows that WiFI for home users is crap from mikrotik.
"rextended" has gone awry and starts abusing his forum admin privileges.
He comments on other people writing things that MikroTik never have said are not allowed, and is editing other people's post to remove such things.
He attacks others for writing the truth about some MikroTik problems, "warns" them not to do that, and then removes that posting again.
Hopefully someone from MikroTik will have a talk with him. Maybe he is overstressed, frustrated, whatever. But this needs to end.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:09 pm

Concur! @Rextened, please stop censoring! One might think you're fighting for a job at MT. 😉 Chill out and get a life. Perhaps a glass of vine or a beer with your family or friends.

Have a nice weekend! ✌️😘🍾🍺

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:33 pm

"rextended" has gone awry and starts abusing his forum admin privileges.
He comments on other people writing things that MikroTik never have said are not allowed, and is editing other people's post to remove such things.
He attacks others for writing the truth about some MikroTik problems, "warns" them not to do that, and then removes that posting again.
100% True ... very sad to say ...

@rextended has contributed some wonderful scripts but since he became a "forum moderator" he has turned into a tyrannical dictator ,,, :(

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:42 pm

@pe1chl,
I am so sorry that what I wrote to you personally, which once read by you there was no longer any need,
you do not care, and I had also written to you that it was my personal message, not as a moderator, because I felt sorry for you.
Unfortunately the forum does not support the use of PMs.
I feel my conscience alright, after having warned you of what is happening, it does not depend on me, of course.
But given your reaction, I'm sorry I wasted time trying to warn you in vain,
and I repeat again: from a personal point of view, not as a moderator.

@Larsa,
the things I censor are public ip addresses, passwords, email addresses, service credentials and more that careless users keep posting on the forum... :roll:

@mozerd,
thanks for the compliments, but don't worry, I know how to sit on the river bank and wait (I don't mean you... obviously ...).
If the given personal advice is welcomed in this way, I will abstain from it. 8)

@ for all:
Good day everyone.
Don't take the forum too seriously, it's not the bible, you don't live in it.
Just take it as a means to collaborate with everyone.
But don't you realize how nice it is to help and collaborate???

Each person has his own character, I have mine, you have yours, but who is preventing us from collaborating anyway?

I always accept criticism, and I never hold a grudge, except to... come on, I'm kidding!

Let's enjoy this beautiful day, while we are...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:25 pm

Concur, I just cleaned my septic system pumps upper orenco feeding tank and lower septic tank, so really dont feel like reading all the sheite :-)
The best point here was that since MT doesnt offer WIFI6 yet its reasonable for those of us who use and like them, well there should not be an issue to note that they exist and work very well.

PKSpeleo
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:11 pm

=))) You have deviated from the main topic;)

The main reason why I need the speed is to store photos and videos on NAS to work with them remotely.
Yes, of course, the cable is better.
But!

My main question is whether I can reach 500-1000mbit with MT Audience for example?
Of course, I would prefer devices from the same ecosystem.
If Audience can't provide this speed, what should I choose?
Or should I choose for example UniFI Access Point WiFi 6.
Can it provide 500-1000mbit?

I understand that it must be ideal conditions, but for me it sounds ok, to have separated additional AP in the room, where I want to have 500-1000mbit.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:22 pm

Using MT AP, you will not be able to reach those speeds with current devices.
500-ish at most when using wifiwave2 drivers (only 3 devices support them for the moment: hAP AC3, Audience (and LTE), RB4011+5HacQ2HnD but only for the 5GHz part).
Seemless roaming: not there yet.

Router, that's something else. RB5009 should have no problem reaching those speeds.

Personal opinion: if you accept using a separate AP in the room where this needs to be used, plug the cable in your computer instead of AP !!
Problem solved and a lot of other problems mitigated.
My view :lol:

PS even with CAT6 cable, you will not get constant 1000Mbbps if the router supports 1Gb.
Are you willing to upgrade all cabling in your house to 10G and the router accordingly ?
Because sooner or later, something else will become your bottleneck.

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:56 pm

I'm wondering... Will the thread starter try to achieve 100+ Mbps under ideal conditions? No walls between rooms, etc.?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:01 pm

Yes the unfortunate truth is, no matter if rextended likes it or not, MikroTik does not have any usable indoor-wifi equipment with modern performance and features, so you have to shop elsewhere, like at the brand you mentioned.
(e.g. to get a WiFi6 AP that supports roaming and can be centrally managed)
At MikroTik, WiFi6 is limited to a few models (as holvoetn indicated), roaming is in its infant steps (beta version only roaming between 2.4 and 5 on the same AP), central management is not compatible yet with WiFi6, and performance is less than what other manufacturers get from the same hardware (even open software installed on the same hardware performs better).
Sure I don't like to bring that bad news, but unfortunately it is the truth. Hopefully it will change in the future.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:40 pm

i have achieved 500mbps with audience using 3rd radio on 160mhz 5500mhz (international version) using RouterOS 6.48.6, client device Laptop Windows 10 NIC Intel AX210, audience in the same room at 5 meters from laptop

pending to try RouterOS 7.x package wave2 to see improvements

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:05 am

Personally I have an Audience [RBD25G-5HPacQD2HPnD] (r2) near the center of the house.
I have a house on the ground floor of 120m² and my cousin lives upstairs,
with a house of the same size, plus, living in the countryside, I have a whole garden around the house.
I have a CRS112-8P-4S to keep everything turned on with PoE and a hEX S [RB760iGS] as a router-on-a-stick.
Plus a pair of PWE-LINE AP [PL7411-2nD], with wi-fi off, because the Sky decoder model I use doesn't have wi-fi and is on another room.
All on RouterOS 6.48.6.
With a single device I can cover everything, of course I have an advantage because I have no neighbors with wi-fi that "breaks the boxes"...
But that's enough for me, providing 100Mbit effective and guaranteed (well, I would like to see ...),
but on the wi-fi, despite being without disturbances, I never went beyond 80Mbit on 5GHz.
But I think that not only depend on Audience, but also on devices I have at home.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Sure I do have a 4011 with WiFi myself and it "sort of works", but it does not mean it is a product that performs optimally.
And I cannot even install WiFi6 on it because that breaks 2GHz WiFi which I still need for my ESP8266 devices.
I would not recommend it for a "Best wireless AP for 500-1000 mbit MT connection". My internet is 180Mbps so it is fast enough for that.
However, at work we have a Wifi network spread all over the offices, with 28 APs in one building, 4 in another, and 2 in the 3rd one.
I need good performance for the ~500 users that are usually connected, smooth roaming (802.11r), central management console, etc.
MikroTik has not product for this, but other similarly prized brands (existing for similarly long time) do. And of course the "professionals" do as well.
You will have to accept that sometimes another brand is the only answer to a question. Or lobby at MikroTik to make them get their act together and make a competitive AP line that performs to todays standards and expectations, like they did in the past.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm

@PKSpeleo
The following is my suggestion for YOU that will work well with the RB5009 you are considering ...
your wireless Clients [all of them] that are capable can achieve between 600 - 800 Mbps

TP-Link EAP660 HD AX3600 Gigabit Dual Band WiFi 6 WLAN Access Point. Integrated in Omada SDN: Critical feature is zero touch provisioning, centralized cloud management and intelligent network monitoring. Centralized Management: Cloud access and Omada app allow for very easy and comfortable setup and management. The Omada controller is free of charge.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Just to add a note to that, I use the same device in stand alone mode and works very well.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:58 pm

pe1chl

Why do you keep typing WiFi6 and Mikrotik?

They have WiFi 5 V2 on a few things only.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:28 pm

pe1chl

Yeah it was a mistake, I meant of course "WiFi5 wave 2". And indeed, it is far from complete.
(actually the system at work is WiFi5 wave 2 as well, but at least it is fully functioning. and it has been running for 3.5 years. we do not have the WiFi6 models yet, but they are available)

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:57 pm

WiFi 6E can solve a lot of the wireless bandwidth problems and it also offers about 3x more non-overlapping channels.

As for trying to deliver 500 to 1-Gig total wireless throughput to customers using only 5 GHz ... You will need multiple 5 GHz sector APs and the APs will need about 50 to 100 feet separation from each other and the sectors should not be overlapping.

Consider using about six Mikrotik wireless router boards connected to RF-Elements 30-degree horn antennas and running Ethernet from all APs to your switch.

I do this and I am pushing/sustaining almost 1 Gig total bandwidth every day to about 50+ customers at one of my towers.
If you need/want more wireless bandwidth , then consider fiber.

North Idaho Tom Jones

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:27 pm

pe1chl

I think the Freudian slip is just an indication of how badly pe1chl WISHES MT was down the wifi6 route.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:44 pm

pe1chl

Yeah it was a mistake, I meant of course "WiFi5 wave 2". And indeed, it is far from complete.
(actually the system at work is WiFi5 wave 2 as well, but at least it is fully functioning. and it has been running for 3.5 years. we do not have the WiFi6 models yet, but they are available)
Wifi 5 v2 has been fully functional at my jobs since 2016.

That's 6 years now.

WiFi6 started showing up in 2020.
And in 2022 we have WiFi6E.

Meanwhile... I load each beta on my Audience... Then turn the wireless off about a day or 2 later. Due to some glitch or another.

My caps-man installs are still costing me money. The ones I have removed so far... I paid out of pocket myself.

The ones that are still out there... I get to deal with constant calls and trouble tickets. Many of which can't be billed for...

So yeah... I would have appreciated if there had been honest feedback around here, before I was taken in by caps-man on paper / in the lab.

The rollouts in the wild were between ok and bad. Not the sort of results one wants associated with one's name.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:00 pm

keep in mind today WiFi 6E is not supported on majority of client devices

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:10 pm

keep in mind today WiFi 6E is not supported on majority of client devices
Re: ... WiFi 6E is not supported on majority of client devices

And that is one of the reasons WiFi6E is so desirable and needed at this time.
in any WiFi 5 GHz populated area , do a site-survey and frequency usage check and it's impossible to find a clean clear empty 80-MHz of spectrum
However , do a WiFe 6E site-survey & frequency usage check using 5.925 to 7.125 GHz and not only can you find many empty clean 80 MHz wide channels, but you can also find some 160 MHz wide channels. And at this time , there is also no LTE band 46 interference also.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:11 pm

And at this time , there is also no LTE band 46 interference also.
Which is just a matter of time then, no ?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:16 pm

However , do a WiFe 6E site-survey & frequency usage check using 5.925 to 7.125 GHz and not only can you find many empty clean 80 MHz wide channels
In Europe, this band is only available for 200mW EIRP indoor and 25mW EIRP outdoor use. And only up to 6425 MHz. So it is not useful for links.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:26 pm

Under ideal near perfect conditions, 2.4 GHz WiFi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps

Under ideal near perfect conditions, 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps

Under ideal near perfect conditions, WiFi 6E will support up to 3.6Gbps ( about 3 times the speed of 5 GHz )
The maximum theoretical speed of a WiFi 6E router ranges from 5.4Gbps to 10.8Gbps

If you don't need or want speed , then stick with 2.4 GHz

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:32 pm

Re: In Europe, this band is only available for 200mW EIRP indoor and 25mW EIRP outdoor use. And only up to 6425 MHz. So it is not useful for links

That is why there are country code settings in APs. Country code settings define frequencies and power limits. Some APs hide the country code settings. Thus one AP microwave product may be legal in many countries , the mfg simply preconfigured the County code prior to shipping.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:17 am

If you don't need or want speed , then stick with 2.4 GHz
Hmmm ... way to crowded where I live.
Plenty of 80MHz slots free in the 5Ghz spectrum here, though. Looks like everyone around me is focusing solely on 2.4Ghz (I must say though, everyone without exception nicely on 1/6/11).
I only see 4 channels being used by other APs using 5Ghz and 2 of those channels are a complete overlap with 3 and 2 SSIDs :shock:
Mine is sitting all alone with zero interference from what I can see.
My point being: a lot can be improved already just paying attention on which channels are being used.

The need for speed is in a lot of cases (and that's my personal view) simply a waste of resources.
There will be valid use cases, sure enough. But not for most. No way.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:42 am

Re: ... Hmmm ... way to crowded where I live. ...

I have several hundred APs and around 1,300 Mikrotik wireless clients.
A few years ago , I wrote a script which performed a site-survey on on every wireless Mikrotik in/on my network in North Idaho and eastern Washington. I counted 10-thousand + wireless routers. Everywhere was " way to crowded". - lol

Now years later , I bet there are 500-percent more wireless APs jamming up the crowded 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band and the noise floor ( including LTE band 46 ) is now through the roof !!!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Re: In Europe, this band is only available for 200mW EIRP indoor and 25mW EIRP outdoor use. And only up to 6425 MHz. So it is not useful for links

That is why there are country code settings in APs. Country code settings define frequencies and power limits. Some APs hide the country code settings. Thus one AP microwave product may be legal in many countries , the mfg simply preconfigured the County code prior to shipping.
What does that have to do with my comment? Do you advocate that I "just set the country code to USA and have full power on outside links"????
I only state what is legal, and of course that has been derived from frequency planning. This band is shared with fixed links (point-to-point links for telecom operators) and satellite use (earth to satellite). The situation is similar to the sharing with Weather Radar: we need to make sure we do not cause interference to the primary user.
To ascertain that, the EIRP has been limited this way. Operating at full 1W EIRP (or even more) can easily cause trouble to other users, and judicial consequences.